Another pier!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Facebook is blowing up with the talk of the next cruise ship pier being back on the table with the new island administration.

... so, Paradise Reef for sure will be completely gone. :( and who knows what impact the new construction will have down stream on the rest of the reef ...

.. oh wait! we DO know, take a look at what's happened along the shoreline over on the Yuc with all the resort construction ... no bueno. :(

So when I'm there next week (for the 1st time), which reefs should I dive before they go away?

The last proposal I know of which talked about a new pier had it up in the northern hotel zone, which is well away from the marine park. The new administration shot that down when they won the election.

The last proposal I know of which talked about a new pier had it up in the northern hotel zone, which is well away from the marine park. The new administration shot that down when they won the election.

from what I see online, this pier they are talking about is just down from the Maya pier, next to the International Pier. I think where they have already set up an infrastructure for it.

In the comments on the FB page you linked they ARE talking about up north.

"How is this going to work being in front of Port Abrigo?"

and

"Bob Weenink Havana Bob The new pier would generate a new influx of people coming into the center of town from the North"

Sharky, I am not sure where you are getting this. Greg (his wife was with Perla's past administration) posted a picture of the old, proposed project of a pier connected to Puerto de Abrigo. That project was shelved a long time ago. On October 2, 2018, the governor gave an interview where he said:

"I was asked if a [new] pier could be in the North Zone [of Cozumel] and I told them no; however, there are proposed projects from cruise ship companies for a port development in the South Zone, but these are still in analysis".

In Mexico, "still in analysis" ("se encuentran en análisis") could just mean "we'll think about it", not necessarily "we are actively reviewing the paperwork prior to issuing a permit."

If they do build one south of Puerto Abrigo, the Villa Aldora will have to become house of "ill repute".

Dave Dillehay

PS Just a joke, but it would terribly affect the Villa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom