another quick review on Panasonic GH2 and Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargost

Contributor
Reaction score
First, thank you to Long-John-Silver, Kevster and quite a few other whom advices toward the Gh2 and the Nauticam housing have been extremely valuable.

After quite a few months of debates and comparisons, i went with the gh2 and nauticam (instead of nex7, which was a very close 2nd due to its great still and the best camera control I've ever used. Video quality, at least on land, as well as lack of custom settings and wide angle zoom got the gh2 to win).

Pick the 7-14 for WA and the 45mm for macro (havent used the macro uw yet, but it does hunt on land!). The choice over WA vs 8mm fisheye was also a very difficult decision, but i dont really use fiye eye on land, a short experience with a WA zoom on another camera (canon mkII) during a dive made me see the value of having an option for a WA zoom. There is a sharpness and close focus distance price to pay, but you cant get everything !

After playing with a huge housing of the canon mkII, the nauticam gh2 is definitely small. It is not as easy to handle as the P&S I have been using for the last 2/3 years, and getting use to it will take time. But even if not 100% obvious in the video below, the quality offered with the GH2 is far superior. I've only used a small hack (66Mbps) but i think this is really outstanding. Certainly being able to have better lights and stability will make it even better. It was a first try!
Controlling the housing is very easy, even with dry gloves. All the buttons, even the smallest, can be accessible at anytime. It is definitely a great housing (it can, considering the insane price of the all set).

Buoyancy of the housing with camera, port (6" dome) and tray is a tiny bit negative. The 6" dome points up a little and needs to be balanced too. Not as bad as with the huge DSLR dome. With arm and lights it is really negative and needs to be compensated with something better than the yellow pool foam I was using with my previous camera: they work till 80ft, but after compressed to a point they just color the arms...

Here is the very first example of the gh2 video :

https://vimeo.com/42494949

Video was shot on 1080p24, 800iso

Overall, a great (but costly) system which will certainly take a bit of time to get use to, but i think which can stand toward bigger rigs while being significantly smaller, lighter and easier to pack for travel.

I think the 4/3 system will serve you well. I have been thinking of going that way myself from vs. using the D200 which is quite large. What strobes are you using?

So far a sola1200 on one side and my 21W HID can light with diffuser head on the other. Not best, need to fix this with a better system. I'm not planning to do still with WA, so for macro (both video and still), the set up will be a sola1200 and a Ys-110a.

What hack are you using?I have yet to hack my camera but i am going shark cage diving in 2 weeks. Looking to hack my GH2 before then. Need stable , 44-66 bit hack.

I’m mostly using cbrandin66
It’s good and stable for all settings I’ve tried, from 720p/60 to 1080p24
Results may not be as good as the higher hacks like
EOSHD vanilla (supposed to be stable, but is not under some 720p long recording)
EOSHD 88MBs, this one is good, but mts files start to be big, and I had trouble to read some of them with VLC
I tried also sanity 41, driftwood aquamotion Aq2, no adverse final, blackwoodgop3q16, spanmybitchup, sedna q20 !!!

Some of them are showing better low noise results when you look carefully, but they reduce the recording time significantly, and I had one or 2 freezing the camera (need remove battery, which is an obvious pb underwater)

With the cbrandin66, I was able to see some real difference when shooting trees and leeves compared to the stock code. Above that, I’m not completely sure I can tell anything (haven’t done big study either) and considering under water stability and backscatter where I dive, I’m happy with 66Mbs right now…

First, thank you to Long-John-Silver, Kevster and quite a few other whom advices toward the Gh2 and the Nauticam housing have been extremely valuable.

An uw video with a GH2 and Dir divers! What I could ask more? :D

Nice video indeed.

I suggest to test the latest LPowel Flow Motion 2.01 settings. Gorgeous!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom