Another Socorro trip video - 11/25 to 12/4/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I am sea green with envy. Any transportation issues? Where did you sail from?what video setup are you using? Temperatures? Yes, I know a thousand questions..Maybe a short trip report, hint hint.Thanks for posting

Yes a short or not so short trip report on the Quino El Guardian. Nice video by the way--loved it. I've been looking at this boat for awhile but looking at the cabins kind of puts me off--any real issues? How about spaces to relax between dives? I'm not looking for luxury but some creature comforts at that price are really welcome.

Hey cspace, I'm going to Socorro with Quino in Feb. This year. So excited. Some questions.

- I don't have a 5mm suit, do I need it or will I freeze my ass off in a 3mm? Did you use hood/cap and/or gloves/boots?

- I heard Quino is old and pretty loud and I am a pretty light sleeper, do you recommend earplugs?

- Are you able to call/cellphone service from the boat? This will be the longest time I am away from my kids (4-6 yrs)

- Any other general tips?

Hey cspace, I'm going to Socorro with Quino in Feb. This year. So excited. Some questions.

- I don't have a 5mm suit, do I need it or will I freeze my ass off in a 3mm? Did you use hood/cap and/or gloves/boots?
I have been on 2 LOB trips to Socorro, both in the Nov-Dec time frame. Water temps were 78-80F. At 4 dives per day, I was very comfortable in 5mm suit and booties. I also added a Lavacore hooded vest and did not use gloves. I brought my 3mm suit on the first trip but did not use it. Water temps in February should be close to 75F.

- I heard Quino is old and pretty loud and I am a pretty light sleeper, do you recommend earplugs?
The Quino is quite creaky when in motion. I used silicon earplugs when sleeping.

- Are you able to call/cellphone service from the boat? This will be the longest time I am away from my kids (4-6 yrs)
They had a satellite phone to use for a fee. I used it once to call home. Cell service is lost once you leave Cabo.
- Any other general tips?
The 4 bunk cabins are tight. Storage is limited. Plan accordingly.

Several divers, on both my Socorro trips, were woozy/seasick at times. I use meclizine with great results.

I had a very positive experience on the Quino el Guardian.

Concerning wetsuit thickness--I've been to Socorro twice both times the first week in December. Both times I wore a full 3mm suit with a 2mm vest underneath. First trip water temps were 78-80 no problems never really was cold. Second trip water averaged 77 everyday with a few thermoclines down to 68 degrees. By the last day of diving I was getting pretty chilled but hung in there. A sharkskin garment underneath the 3mm wetsuit would have served me well I think - the 2mm vest did help but I'm sure I would have been better served on the second trip in a 5mm suit. On the first trip we did have several folks diving in 3mm shortys--I guess it's all about your tolerance to cold. PS-I never wore any sort of hood or gloves--a hood may have helped on the second trip also if i would have had one with me.

On the first trip we did have several folks diving in 3mm shortys--I guess it's all about your tolerance to cold.
I have 3mm full, but I rather be comfortable in the water, and it's not a trip I do every year so sounds like I should invest in a 5mm suit. Cheers!

Great tips cpace, especially the seasickness part. I am generally pretty good at sea but you never know, looks like the Quino is somewhat a smaller vessel too. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom