Another Transpac Transplate Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWPhotoKeith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't have a DR dealer in my area, though there are 5 dive shops within 30 minutes from where I live, otherwise I would love to go to a shop to get my answer in person.

I am trying to decide between the Transpac and Transplate SS/Alu and wonder how much difference there is in neg bouancy since the Transpac apparently has stainless steel side plates in it?

I am 6'1" 195lbs and will be using it with a DUI trilam drysuit with thick undergarment for diving in Northern California. My goal is to have the least amount of weight on my weight belt but if the Transpac is within a few pounds of the Transplate then I would opt for the Transpac for comfort hiking to dive spots and being able to wear it with a travel wing in the tropics.

Thanks for any information that might help me choose. Keith

The transpac does not have any plates at all in it. The difference is the plate: 2lb aluminum, 6lb steel for example.

I would (and do) go with a steel plate for drysuit diving if your main goal is less lbs on your belt. My transplate harness w/stainless backplate is actually quite comfortable.

Went with the transplate myself. Glad I did.

Actually, I have both - TransPlate w/ss bp and also a TransPac. I use the TransPac for warm & travel, and the other for drysuit & doubles.

With a single HP100 and my transplate, I need no weight for my drysuit which is nice...no pockets needed, so rig is real simple.

I was afraid of that...not that its a bad thing though. I guess I got confused in their literature where the mention "stainless side plates" which I am now sure they are talking about the SS connector for the shoulder/waist connection. I guess I might get the Travel Pac or a Zeagle for tropical stuff. I do think that the SS plate and harness would be the best single option for cold water, dry suit and single steel tank set up.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps.

We use an SS BP to offset the buoyancy of our exposure suits in Northern California. The SS plate will get some weight over the lung area which helps with trim especially for photographers.

I use a SS TransPlate with STA and 2" crotch strap with HP100 for hiking our coastal cliff trails to get to the water. The STA locks the tank in place so no sway when hiking. The new BP's have slots for the tank cam bands, so no STA is required. Also the STA raises the tank up a bit (Tank cam band slots slightly higher than slots on SS BP). This should not be a problem for average height divers.

Tank cam bands are also needed for the TransPlate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom