Another year of loss for Japanese Whalers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdreamer

Contributor
Reaction score
Monday, April 13, 2009
Three Hundred and Five Whales Saved by Operation Musashi
Japanese Whalers "Enraged" with Sea Shepherd
The Institute for Cetacean Research has released their 2008/2009 kill figures for their whale slaughter in the Southern Ocean. They slaughtered 679 Minke whales of their targeted 935 and they only took one endangered fin whale from their targeted 50 whales.

Sea Shepherd this last season has saved 305 whales from an agonizing death from the deadly explosive harpoons of the Japanese whaling fleet. The Japanese Fisheries Agency is blaming the failure to reach their quota on disruptions by the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

"This season's catch was reduced as a result of the interference by protesters," said Shigeki Takaya, a Fisheries Agency spokesman.

The Japanese whalers extended their whaling season by two weeks in an attempt to recover losses. Despite this, they took only 2% of their fin whale quota and 72% of their Minke whale quota. The estimated loss of profits is in the tens of millions of dollars. With costs increased due to security measures, the Japanese whaling industry needed to secure 700 whales to break even financially. They have failed to secure their required 700 whales.

Once again the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has negated the profits of the Southern Ocean whaling fleet.

"We continue to speak the one language these whale pirates understand," said Captain Paul Watson. "Profit and loss: we need to keep their losses up and their profits down. We will eventually beat these killers with aggressively applied economics."

Three vessels from Japan's fleet on Monday docked in Shimonoseki, a port town about 800 kilometres south-west of Tokyo, with the mother ship due in Tuesday, according to the agency. Two other ships returned to Japan last week.

Kazuo Yamamura, president of Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha, which operates the whaling fleet, on Monday told reporters he was upset by damage allegedly caused to his ships by Sea Shepherd.

"I'm enraged, and my blood is boiling with anger," he said.

The company has blamed Sea Shepherd for skirmishes at sea, saying it was the protesters who escalated the attacks by ramming two Japanese vessels and pelting whalers with bottles filled with rancid butter.

"We did not ram any whaling ship," said Captain Watson. "We blocked their loading operations and when they attempted to get by us, the harpoon vessels caused the collisions. The harpoon killer vessels are faster and more maneuverable than the Steve Irwin. To suggest that we rammed them is absurd. Three different collisions happened when they attempted to pass us to offload their whales.

This year, Sea Shepherd's boat chased the fleet more than 3200 kilometres through the icy waters of the Antarctic Ocean before withdrawing in February.

"I am delighted that Yamamura's blood is boiling," said Captain Watson. "I am delighted that he is enraged and I am absolutely delighted that the Japanese whalers made zero profits this year and most of all I am delighted that we saved 305 lives. That is three years in a row we have negated their bloody profits. We intend to make it a fourth year when we return to the Southern Ocean in December to once again disrupt the illegal activities of the Japanese whaling fleet."

Sea Shepherd's Operation Musashi has been a success. "We did the very best we could with the resources available to us," said Captain Watson. "If we can raise the funds for a second faster vessel we will be able to do even better next season."

The entire campaign was documented by Animal Planet for their hit show Whale Wars. The second season, which documented Operation Musashi, is set to air in the United States on June 5th at 9 PM on Animal Planet.

"Every whale saved is a victory and 305 whales saved is a major victory, plus costing the whalers their profits for the season is an incredible victory," said Sea Shepherd 1st Officer Peter Hammarstedt of Sweden.

Is there a link to the story?

While I applaud most actions that will prevent the slaughter of these whales, (based on watching the show Whales Wars) I'm suprised Watson could even find the Southern Ocean, much less stop any fleet from doing any whaling.

I do like the polictical pressue other countries put on the fleet.
www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/16/2468118.htm
This sort of pressure will just continue to increase costs to the whaling fleet and eventually stop it altogether.

I wonder when the Japs will join the real world and stop killing the whales for research purposes as they say! If it was for pure research then why is 99% of the meat on sale in the fish markets!
Maybe its time for another test program there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom