Ansell Wolf Eel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There have been rumors going around that the wolf eel at Ansell was killed by a spearfisherman. Well, we saw him yesterday so he's apparently not dead, although he didn't seem very happy. He was laying in the sand not really doing much at all. Since wolf eels mate for life, it is possible that the rumors are true and his partner was killed, leaving him depressed (not sure this happens with wolf eels but other species that mate for life show altered behavior when removed from their mate). We fed him an urchin to try and gauge his health, he ate it so I take that as a good sign.

Another explanation is the fact that we found fishing line and lures in his den. There is A LOT of fishing crap at Ansell right now. Most of it is likely coming from one guy who has been there every time I've dove there in the last couple months (he drives a red Honda hatchback). He says he's fishing for rockfish and yesterday he had 3 lines in the water at the same time. No wonder there's hardly any rockfish to be seen at Ansell these days. We reported him to the DFO but since Ansell doesn't fall within one of the Rockfish Conservation Areas, it's doubtful that they can do anything.

Anyway, that's my rant. If you dive Ansell, try and bring up some line/lures and hopefully we can stay on top of it.

Here's some video from the dive:
[video]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hULvPzSy_3P_tRRbgbUGMGOqUz4xmrSp2LKbEO-dJXY?feat=directlink[/video]

I have not dove Ansell in a while. Every time I have been there I have only seen one wolf eel, on the right side about 65' under a boulder. Is the one you saw in the same area? I am also jealous that you got to see it out in the open, it has always been in the den every time I have been there. cool video too.

Wow. That's awesome! I'm going to have to dive there sometime soon. I've never dove Ansell...to afraid of the stairs. Thanks for sharing the video!

I have not dove Ansell in a while. Every time I have been there I have only seen one wolf eel, on the right side about 65' under a boulder. Is the one you saw in the same area? I am also jealous that you got to see it out in the open, it has always been in the den every time I have been there. cool video too.

That's the guy. I know a few years ago there were two of them living together and there were even eggs in the den at one point. Not sure if the lady moved out or moved on.

Next time you see the fisherman be sure to tell DFO that he's fishing more than one line by himself from shore.

Back
Top Bottom