Anti Fog recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHowie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First of all, yes, I did a search.

Now, on to the question. I swear my body tempature is a degree higher than everyone else's. Because of this unproven fact, I have the hardest time keeping my mask fog free. Last time I went diving I used a spray and had to spray a ton of the stuff in the mask, give it a super quick rinse and still I would have problems towards the end of the dive with fogging. I have heard gel is better than spray. Is there an anti-fog, gel or otherwise, that someone swears by?

I use the gel from "500 PSI". It works for me real well.

No tears baby shampoo diluted 4 parts water / 1 part baby shampoo in a squirt bottle. Cheap and works like a charm.

Spit, dilute shampoo, dilute dishsoap, Sea Drops, 500 PSI, all will serve.

Sea Gold is a gel, and it works considerably better than my spit, YMMV. A $6 bottle will last at least a hundred dives. If I don't have the Sea Gold handy, I use spit. If I can't come up with any spit, I reassess the dive. :wink:

Is it a new mask? With my Atomic I had to scrub it 5-6 times with soft scrub before it stopped fogging.

After doing the new mask scrub, I like to use Sea Drops as my defog agent. Diluted no tears baby shampoo works good too.

If it’s a new mask you have to scrub it a couple of times with toothpaste before diving, but you probably know that. I just spit in the mask and rinse it with a bit of sea water just before I jump in. Mask fogging also happens to me especially on a warm day when I’m sweating. I have tried various sprays but find that spitting in the mask actually is the best solution. If or when my mask fog’s during a dive, then I simply just let a bit of water in and then clear the mask.

Sea Gold is a gel, and it works considerably better than my spit, YMMV.

I can second the Sea Gold recommendation. In my (admittedly limited) experience it also works considerably better than the sprays I've tried

Is it a new mask? With my Atomic I had to scrub it 5-6 times with soft scrub before it stopped fogging.

After doing the new mask scrub, I like to use Sea Drops as my defog agent. Diluted no tears baby shampoo works good too.

It was a new mask last time I used it back in late September. I scrubbed it with toothpaste 5 days in a row and it never really seemed to get better. Maybe I need that 6th time for it to finally take affect. :wink:

Me being a cheap Bohunk (a VERY close second to the Jewish persuation), I like the sound of the diluted baby shampoo. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep it coming! Even if you are repeating someone let me hear your 2 cents worth. I like having a general consensus. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom