Anti Fog recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Method is more important than what you use. Any soap will work, dishwashing liquid is best, but baby shampoo works almost as well and won't burn your eyes. Use it full strength.

Start with a dry mask. Apply a small amount of soap. Rub it in. Let it dry. It's never too early to apply the soap. Drying overnight is ideal. When doing repetitive dives, dry the inside of the mask with a towel and apply the soap ASAP after your previous dive. Rinse it just before your dive. I often rinse it on my descent. Avoid rinsing it in the mask rinse bucket. There's all kinds of crap in the bucket.

First of all, yes, I did a search.

Now, on to the question. I swear my body tempature is a degree higher than everyone else's. Because of this unproven fact, I have the hardest time keeping my mask fog free. Last time I went diving I used a spray and had to spray a ton of the stuff in the mask, give it a super quick rinse and still I would have problems towards the end of the dive with fogging. I have heard gel is better than spray. Is there an anti-fog, gel or otherwise, that someone swears by?

I've heard of spit, baby shampoo and other stuff. I prefer using the anti-fog drops that you can get at the dive shop. The cost is anywhere from 3 to 7 dollars depending on how much the dive shop wants to rip you..

The comercial drops work best for me and I dive cold water 99% of the time.

I use the 500PSI gel.My LDS gave me a bottle with my mask purchase.I haven't had any problems with fogging.The only negative I've noticed is that it tends to build up around the edges of the lenses after several dives.

I can confirm the build up around the edge of the lens. It looks like a white soap ring fiim.

I really like SeaGold Defog, it is a thick clear gel. I put in on while the mask is dry and leave it on for at least an hour or so, until it dries. Then I do a quick rinse.

Speaking of spit.... there is a company that makes SPIT defog.

I often wonder... how long it takes for the workers to spit into that little bottle to fill it up? lol

depending on the mask, you may need to give it more of a scrub then normal. My atomic mask definatly required triple the time to clean compared to an aceanic mask. saying that, once u have some sea gold and a clean mask, you won't see fog ever again!

If your mask is fogging after using any of the good defoggers, baby shampoo, or spit...I agree that you need to clean the glass better. Maybe it is worth considering using soft scrub or the lighter method that some people like to use.

scrub your mask one more time with a paste
residual mold release can be present on the skirt, so give that a good scub also.
If the mask is clean, Spit; baby shampoo; dish soap; and over the counter stuff all work well as the other works along with several techniques mentioned you should never have an issue.
See you topside! John

spit, and some salt water to clear the mask if needed

After preparing a new mask I've found that good 'ol saliva does the trick for me... Perhaps I just have potent anti-fog spit! I'll be happy to sell you some...

A couple of cycles in the dishwasher with no soap is a great way to clean new masks. You can try the toothpaste bit first, then finish with the dishwasher. It really works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom