Anti Fog recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use no bleach soft scrub to periodically clean the mask and get rid of residue anti-fog stuff.

I have used mostly everything in the market today and IMO the best so far has been the 500 psi blue goo. I have used one application for the whole day (2-5 dives) in salt water and it keeps the mask clear.

You have to maintain the mask fairly clean for the anti fog to work well, I clean mine every six months or so by using soft scrub and a toothbrush to get to the hard to reach areas around the lenses and nose piece.

Hope this helps.

Dive safe,

Celia

PS In a pinch spit does great and its free!!

You may to try this next time you dive. A divebuddy of mine uses a mixture of J&J Baby Shampoo and water (1/3 shampoo and 2/3 water) in spray bottle. Just spray your mask and rinse it as usual. The solution will remove grime/oil from the mask seal and lense. I also use the spray to put on wet dive gloves. Pass this on if it works for you.

I use baby shampoo. I do notice on long fresh water dives 90-120+ minutes that eventually enough shampoo sheets into the base of the mask that it begins to form bubbles that tickle my cheeks & nose. Does anyone else have that sensation?

Method is more important than what you use. Any soap will work, dishwashing liquid is best, but baby shampoo works almost as well and won't burn your eyes. Use it full strength.

Start with a dry mask. Apply a small amount of soap. Rub it in. Let it dry. It's never too early to apply the soap. Drying overnight is ideal. When doing repetitive dives, dry the inside of the mask with a towel and apply the soap ASAP after your previous dive. Rinse it just before your dive. I often rinse it on my descent. Avoid rinsing it in the mask rinse bucket. There's all kinds of crap in the bucket.

I took your advice on this several years ago. It was by far some of the best advice I've ever gotten. Works perfectly everytime.

I use baby shampoo. I do notice on long fresh water dives 90-120+ minutes that eventually enough shampoo sheets into the base of the mask that it begins to form bubbles that tickle my cheeks & nose. Does anyone else have that sensation?

I get that sometimes. It makes me laugh, I flood and clear and continue on :D

Well, I appreciate everyones insight. I think I will try a combination of pre-dive cleaning techniques and I like the baby shampoo idea. Thanks again!!

PS- 12 days until Cozumel!!!!! I'm excited if you couldn't tell.

Sounds like you have all the info you need, but I just want to commend you for using the proper name for anti-fog! :)

Spit!!! its free and you can take it anywhere and you never forget it.

Burn the film off the inside of the glass with a lighter then clean the black residue off with toothpaste. That should help a lot. Then use whatever concoction you please prior to the dive. I use baby shampoo, straight up, no mixer. One small drop spread on the glass and left to dry while I gear up. Then a quick rinse before putting it on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom