Anti Fog recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An update for everyone:

I used the Sea Gold, Baby Shampoo, and spit, and they all worked just fine. I think the first dive trip I just needed to clean the living hell out of the mask a little better. I had almost no problems at all with fogging up. Although, I may not have noticed since I got a cold on the third day and was having trouble getting the ears cleared. But I prevailed and only had to abort one dive and skip the night dive. But all-in-all a great time!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Great thread everyone! I was convinced that as a new diver, I hadn't yet found the "secret drops" for keeping my mask clear that "every experienced diver must use." Well, the big secret seems to be cleaning my mask! I already use the J&J. I just scubbed my lenses with toothpaste and rinsed three times, headed to the beach now for a quick snorkel to test and see if there is any improvement.

BTW, love the forum, been lurking for a while, finally signed up and posted!

I think you've got it. I'm pretty careful about keeping my masks clean, even after the initial toothpaste cleaning. I use the optical cleaning kit that I use on my glasses. Then, any defog method (drops, paste, baby shampoo, kelp, spit) works just fine for me.

I agree.I think most anything will work as long as the mask is clean to start with.
As I said in an earlier post,I've been using 500psi which works well.I used it on my first dive at a local quarry recently and forgot to put some on my mask before the walk to the entry point on the second dive.Rather than walk back for it,I just used good ol spit.It worked just as well.

my diving buddy is the exact same way. The Technique we have all used is get the mask wet. dump water out. apply a GEL toothpaste, and rub it on your lenses. Let it sid/dry for about 5 min. rinse it out. and dive. Works every time without a doubt
also when you buy a mask new, they come with a protecive film over the lenses. you can buy stuff called Sea Gold Buff. which will remove that. then just do the toothpaste. If you dont remove that. you will fog like crazy

I'll add to the Sea Gold votes....small bottle lasts forever, and works great in cold and warm water.

I have heard of divers giving themselves pink-eye from the spit method. I use sea-drops and the only time they failed, was when I forgot them...in which case I used spit.

Burn the film off the inside of the glass with a lighter then clean the black residue off with toothpaste. That should help a lot. Then use whatever concoction you please prior to the dive. I use baby shampoo, straight up, no mixer. One small drop spread on the glass and left to dry while I gear up. Then a quick rinse before putting it on.

+1 .... I was getting all exited that nobody had mentioned the lighter method...but you stole my thunder!:puppy: I use it on boat dives all the time for newer divers that haven't got the film off their brand new masks with toothpaste.... it works like a charm.... their second dives of the morning are soooo much better when they can see:bounce4:

I'm a pansy when it comes to putting soaps and anti-fog products in my mask. Without fail, they burn my eyes. I tried the Johnson Baby shampoo soap film method and about 3-4 anti-fog products that alledgedly won't burn your eyes. Even had other folks who use these products successfully treat my mask for me in case I'm doing it wrong. It made for some miserable dives. Eyes burning, constantly blinking to try to stop the burning, and finally repeatedly flooding and clearing my mask until I get some freaking relief already!

So I use spit, and if/when my mask fogs, I let a little water in to clear it. I have developed a bit of an attitude about unsolicited advice from people trying to push their favorite anti-fog product on me when they see me using spit, even after I tell them spit is the only thing that doesn't burn my eyes.

Guess it's not lady-like to spit, much less use spit for anti-fog.

I'm a pansy when it comes to putting soaps and anti-fog products in my mask. Without fail, they burn my eyes. I tried the Johnson Baby shampoo soap film method and about 3-4 anti-fog products that alledgedly won't burn your eyes. Even had other folks who use these products successfully treat my mask for me in case I'm doing it wrong. It made for some miserable dives. Eyes burning, constantly blinking to try to stop the burning, and finally repeatedly flooding and clearing my mask until I get some freaking relief already!

So I use spit, and if/when my mask fogs, I let a little water in to clear it. I have developed a bit of an attitude about unsolicited advice from people trying to push their favorite anti-fog product on me when they see me using spit, even after I tell them spit is the only thing that doesn't burn my eyes.

Guess it's not lady-like to spit, much less use spit for anti-fog.

It burned after thoroughly rinsing the mask a few times?

Back
Top Bottom