Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Received 10 masks from @Johnoly today. Duplicates of 5 different (very inexpensive) children's masks. Plastic and glass lenses. You stated in your letter that you don't want them back. I plan to donate them to the local Goodwill store after testing. I'll send you their receipt.

@laikabear: If you don't see my offer above (or choose to not take the offer) I will have the mask that is now waiting for you sent to me to be the eighth new test mask. I need to keep things moving so if I don't hear from you by this coming Monday noon EST the offer has timed out. No pressure, your choice.

Received 10 masks from @Johnoly today. Duplicates of 5 different (very inexpensive) children's masks. Plastic and glass lenses. ....
Since all masks now are a compound of plastic type materials, feel free to try some of the most Aggressive Tests (acid/phosphate/salts) on the $1.99 masks that I sent. The US Divers and Speedo mask lens should be interesting results too. Would be fun to destroy the cheapo's rather than a high dollar mask {but maybe the results are eye-opening also}

I'm a commercial harvester and I spent less money on the masks than if I got paid turning in 10 lionfish to the fish house. Test and destroy at your pleasure and looking forward to your results !!

What does everyone use for "gentle soap" for washing the whole mask?

Hey thanks Marie! I think i will get some baby shampoo.

Not sure if you are aware or not but dawn contains amines a ammonia derivative. How much and how harmful it is to rubber I don't know

amines are derivatives of ammonia where one or more hydrogen atoms have been replaced with a substitute. So the best I can discern with my layman’s understanding is that this ammonia derivative is in fact the likely reason for dish soaps to give a warning about not adding bleach.
Can You Mix Dawn Dish Soap With Bleach ??

Bleach will dissolve protein. It’ll irritate your eyes when small amount of it contacts your eyes. You’ll get a blurry vision after some exposure to it.

When it contacts your skin, it’ll feel slick because it dissolves your skin and leave a red “burn-like” mark. Fortunately you have few layers of skin, but not your eyes. So be careful.

Let's get this moving.

I expect that we will have eight identical Minimus masks, all new and in the box.

Fog test all of them exactly the same right out of the box. We would expect all to behave similarly.

Is it the skirt or the glass?? Four of them get a critical cleaning with washing soda (single compound, sodium carbonate) in a dishwasher. Four passes through the whole cycle, no 'Jet Dry' or any other glass de-spotting additive. Just a repeated alkaline sodium carbonate wash. One set of four remains untouched, the other group gets a sodium carbonate lens and skirt cleaning.

Now we have two sets of four masks. Four untouched, four prewashed.

Fog test all of them.

Next step would be to agree on the 'reference treatments' to one of the lenses done exactly the same for all eight masks. Please offer any/all complaints or discomfort with anything said up to reference treatments. We will discuss and agree upon reference treatments next.

@Johnoly, I will pick four pair of plastic lens masks for the exact same treatment that involved parties agree upon. Prewashed and unwashed. Your plastic lenses will track the glass lenses with the exception that one of your sets of masks will be reserved for 'MythBusters' testing.

Four untouched, four prewashed.
Sounds good so far, but I have a bit of catching up to do. Refresh my memory as to why four, rather than only one, will be untouched.

BTW: Clever idea using the dishwasher.

Step one. Four of the masks get a preliminary dishwasher cleaning, four of them don't.

It is an attempt to isolate 'skirt' issues. Nothing has had any intentional lens treatments yet.

Two sets of test masks. One set pre-cleaned, one set not.

Back
Top Bottom