Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This fogging problem on new masks came into existence with advent of frameless masks -- those where the glass retainer cannot be mechanically removed. Wouldn't it make sense to find out what manufacturers are exposing the glass to? I suspect that injection mold release compounds are involved. Knowing the chemistry of the product(s) would tell us how to remove it.

Maybe @MAKO Spearguns can find out?

Even Mako tells us to flame it or using toothpaste. The chemical reaction thing he says is incorrect though. Tooth paste won’t react with the silicone mold realease agent.

Even Mako tells us to flame it or using toothpaste. ...//...
We are all in the same boat: Maybe there is something better/easier. This problem dates back to:
This fogging problem on new masks came into existence with advent of frameless masks

So two possibilities are that the mold release agent unintentionally coats the glass or that the glass was intentionally silanized in order to aid in adhesion to the mask.

Even Mako tells us to flame it or using toothpaste. The chemical reaction thing he says is incorrect though. Tooth paste won’t react with the silicone mold realease agent.

True, but the detergents and abrasives probably remove them.

So two hypotheses are that the mold release agent unintentionally coats the glass or the glass was intentionally silanized in order to aid in adhesion between the mask and glass.

It "might" also be a material applied to the mask to clean it or make it look better. Following the production sequence from the mold to the bag/box should be enlightening. Another possibility is that an agent is applied to the glass to help the molded silicone to bond adhere.

Recently I had my wife mask that was VERY resistant to defogging. The dive store kept doing things that were not working (defog, shampoo...). When I suggested something different, she told me I was full of it. Then we she had enough and wanted a new mask, she gave me the mask. I took some soft scrub and some very very fine sand (with soft scrub) and gently scrubbed the inside of the mask. It worked.

If I put the mask under a microscope, I will probably see scratched. By naked eye, it looks good.

Finally I took some soft scrub and some very very fine sand and gently scrubbed the inside of the mask. It worked.

Most of the non-gel toothpastes contain very fine abrasives like aluminium oxides, calcium carbonate, and silica. Many of the gel type toothpastes are promoted as non-abrasive and don't contain them. I find that non-gel toothpaste work best for cleaning the glass.

I have had good luck with Bon Ami cleanser. It is slightly abrasive; however, the abrasives are not as hard as the glass. We used to use it on automotive windshields for thorough cleaning. If you were careless and got it on the car's paint, it would dull the finish. I've used it on all my masks and never had any problem with scratching or fogging. I still use baby shampoo as well.

Based on a suggestion from one of the SB members on a previous discussion of this topic, I bought Micro-gloss liquid abrasive.I believe it is popular in the aviation world. Anyway it did a better job of cleaning the mask than toothpaste and I recommend it. I still use anti-fog but it has made a big positive difference.

Thanks all!

I'm compiling all this and will then attempt to assimilate it in order to come up with suggested treatments that will then be discussed. No masks will be touched until we have some sort of experimental design.

Sea buff or non gel toothpaste.

But what makes it 10x more effective is to use a Sonicare toothbrush or similar for the cleaning. No joke. Just like with your teeth, it's way, way more effective than just rubbing it around. Also easier to get the edges and corners. Try it. No need to over think it. I have lots of divers in my family and done a lot of masks this way and it is by far the most effective for me.

Back
Top Bottom