• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by lowviz, Feb 23, 2019.

1. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

LOL

aviator8 likes this.
  2. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

I noticed that seadrops keep mine clear 99% of the time. I am a nose breather to the extent that easy breathing regs freeflow into my nose and out of my mask.

RayfromTX likes this.
  3. salth2owannabe

salth2owannabe Barracuda

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Apologize if this technique has been mentioned -
    On my last couple of new masks I used a rounded cotton buff that mounts in a drill.
    Applied some Novus plastic polish and the Novus fine scratch remover. Put it in my drill press on high rpms and buffed the heck out them. No film fog issues at all.

4. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Don't have the time to read everything...
    Now all that I learned about this topic. In Italy there is a manufacturer that makes scuba masks for Scubapro. They are Scubapro clones but without brand. 65 or 70 euros for the Scubapro, 20 euros for the unbranded clone. Provided a very good mask is 20 euros, and defogger can be around 5 or 6 euros per bottle, if you buy 4 bottles of defogger you pay them like a new very decent mask. Doesn't make much sense.

The solution is: spitting. Free of charge, doesn't harm the human eyes with chemicals, doesn't pollute the environment and you can't forget it at home

5. greeniguana

greeniguana Angel Fish

Last new mask I got (Cressi Evolution) I squirted Dawn detergent on each lens full strength, and rubbed it around with my finger covered with a damp paper towel. I rinsed out the Dawn and smeared a little Johnsons baby shampoo around inside. I put it away and let the baby shampoo dry. I rinsed out the baby shampoo next time I got in the water with it and it was fog free.

6. Ana

Ana Solo Diver

My husband agrees with your "technique" and has been a practitioner since the 60's... until he was faced with this mask from Satan, that is oh so pretty orange.

Now as much as I agree that 5 or 6 euros for a bottle of defogger seems excessive, under normal circumstances it only takes a couple of drops per dive, literally one drop on each side. Even a small bottle should last several hundred dives. I don't even know what's the price here in the US because I haven't purchased one in ages.

Sbiriguda likes this.