Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The procedure laid out by lowviz would be to then hit it with "a splash of 1/10 diluted J&J Baby Shampoo. Placed into vertical position and let drain and dry."
Actually, @couv was first to point out that any and all masks need some sort of defog.

Maybe just add a tiny squirt of baby shampoo to the ice bath?

Actually, @couv was first to point out that any and all masks need some sort of defog.

Maybe just add a tiny squirt of baby shampoo to the ice bath?

Include it in the bath. Apply it immediately after the bath. Whatever. Either way, if I let it sit to dry before testing it, I think the mask could possibly come to room temperature before testing.

And if the process it don't let it dry at all, I still don't think it matters much on shampoo in ice water, or not. I guess if the shampoo is room temp, it will warm the glass some before testing.

Anyway, since @couv was the one that asked for this test to be done, I just want to make sure I do the test exactly as he wants. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time.

Put the defog shampoo/whatever in the mask, float the mask in the ice water then one dip into the ice water and check for fogging.

Cold soak the mask. Immediately defog it with the diluted formula just as if you were going diving-leave it wet. Now breathe a nice warm breath of air onto the lens. We are testing to see if condensation from our breath will stick to the glass (fog) or will the surfactant we squirted on keep it fog free. Try defogging only one side to see if the untreated side fogs thus confirming the treatment.

Thanks.

Cold soak the mask. Immediately defog it with the diluted formula just as if you were going diving-leave it wet. Now breathe a nice warm breath of air onto the lens. We are testing to see if condensation from our breath will stick to the glass (fog) or will the surfactant we squirted on keep it fog free. Try defogging only one side to see if the untreated side fogs thus confirming the treatment.

Thanks.

Well, I already know (from my Deep6 that just came out of the ammonia bath) that breathing on it without defog will make it fog right up. I tried that at room temperature already. No need to cold soak it to know that.

Well, I already know (from my Deep6 that just came out of the ammonia bath) that breathing on it without defog will make it fog right up.
In review of this thread, your 2-day soak observation is starting to make some sense.

Please re-submerge that mask in your scented ammonia solution and cover it. Give it 5 more days if you would be so kind.

Only a suggestion:
The cooling aspect is intended to optimize conditions for fogging, but an ice bath also has the potential to remove whatever defog is applied.

So.. why not:
ammonia soak
rinse and dry with paper towel
apply defog
place in fridge for 15 minutes - possibly enough to cool down mask, yet not completely dry out the defog.
then do the breath test?

I know ice water has a very precise and reproducible temperature, but a "cool" fridge might be more applicable to actual usage.

In review of this thread, your 2-day soak observation is starting to make some sense.

Please re-submerge that mask in your scented ammonia solution and cover it. Give it 5 more days if you would be so kind.

I will, but 2 questions:

I was planning to go diving tomorrow and try the new mask. Will diving it (with diluted J&J for defog) and then putting it back in the ammonia afterwards screw up the test?

Are you suggesting that from what you know, if/when the ammonia has completely finished doing whatever it does, I should be able to breathe on a mask that has no defog and it should not fog up? I.e. that what I said above implies that the ammonia treatment I gave it was not (yet) effective?

Interesting. I placed it in a bowl of iced water for 30 minutes; Removed it and breathed on it. Fogged up. Rinsed in cold mild YBS then cold water and voila -- no fog at all. No matter how much I exhaled. Need to dive this thing to confirm performance in the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom