Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I'm jumping way ahead, but I think that it does not. Once you get a clean, hydroxylated glass surface you just keep it clean and covered with the defog of your choice. You can always re-clean with ammonia.

One sec, looking for something...

I think you answered a different question than I asked.

I'm asking about the ammonia that I have in my soak bucket. Can I soak 100 different masks in it and it will keep working (to hydroxylate each new mask)? Or does the ammonia in the bath need to be replaced periodically to continue treating new masks?

Oh, Sorry.

I can only rely on past experience, but I would be surprised if the ammonia solution ever became depleted just by cleaning masks. The ammonia gas will leave the solution and be lost if uncovered, but there is a lot of ammonia in solution and ever so little that it has to do to a mask...

Ok, I have followed this all along, I’ve never had a mask I couldn’t get to work well using the old tried and true (ish) methods but some took more effort than others. My question is does the whole mask have to be submerged or can the Ammonia be poured into the mask, say 1/2” deep and put in a plastic bag or a mask box etc. and left for the suggested time?

Ok, I have followed this all along, I’ve never had a mask I couldn’t get to work well using the old tried and true (ish) methods but some took more effort than others. My question is does the whole mask have to be submerged or can the Ammonia be poured into the mask, say 1/2” deep and put in a plastic bag or a mask box etc. and left for the suggested time?

My sense of things (which could be very off!) is that if you run it through a dishwasher cycle, the mask will be adequately clean and the ammonia soak is really for the purpose of hydroxylating the glass. So, my GUESS would be that you could just soak the inside part of the glass, as the outside does not need to be hydroxylated.

But, I have to ask, what is your purpose in trying to only soak the inside? Why not just put enough ammonia in the bag or mask box to soak the whole thing?

I placed my mask into a large Tupperware container then filled with ammonia until it fully covered the mask.

I placed my mask into a large Tupperware container then filled with ammonia until it fully covered the mask.

That's what I did. But, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of using a mask box. I'm going to do that now. I think it will probably only take half as much ammonia to fill it. Then I can use 2 boxes and have 2 masks soaking at the same time.

That's what I did. But, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of using a mask box. I'm going to do that now. I think it will probably only take half as much ammonia to fill it. Then I can use 2 boxes and have 2 masks soaking at the same time.
If you only need enough inside the mask for the required job you could do all of them at the same time.

I paid about $5 for a half-gallon. I guess you can economise by optimizing space but I’m only doing this once - now doing it for all five of my masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom