Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paid about $5 for a half-gallon. I guess you can economise by optimizing space but I’m only doing this once - now doing it for all five of my masks.

It's not so much about the money. It's more about being able to do more masks at the same time with the supply I have on hand (which was a pain in the butt to find, in our current Corona climate). 1 at a time, for a week, will take me forever. At least I can complete it in 1/2 of forever...

Again, I'm jumping way ahead, but I think that it does not. Once you get a clean, hydroxylated glass surface you just keep it clean and covered with the defog of your choice. You can always re-clean with ammonia.

One sec, looking for something...

I may be reading reading @stuartv 's question differently than you. No matter, as I have this question. Does the ammonia itself lose it's properties-like for example baking powder?

Sorry, did not read the followup. Thanks.

My sense of things (which could be very off!) is that if you run it through a dishwasher cycle, the mask will be adequately clean and the ammonia soak is really for the purpose of hydroxylating the glass.
Your sense must be good. :)

More and more pieces falling into place. I LOVE this part of a research project!

Page 560 of the1970's review article:

"Inorganic polyphosphates have the same ion-sequestering property, and consequently the same tendency to attack glasses. This attack is particularly severe in automatic dishwashers, where high temperatures and strongly alkaline detergents are the rule."

Yep, that's what I'm thinkin' too.

nice , I dig it , ...........................I just use spit not happy with anything else

lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom