Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the light of SARS-COV-2, I think that if you advise people to use spit, you could be considered an agent-provocateur!

Much going on behind the scene. Tried a huge range of concentrations of the (miserable) slime polymer with ammonia. The two are compatible but the slime doesn't keep the ammonia from evaporating at any concentration. A spin-off is that polyethylene glycol (PEG) is an inert thickening agent. It is a mess to remove from hands and glassware. This suggests that a bit of PEG added to 10% baby soap might just be a really good anti-fog agent. (maybe someone will market it as Baby Spit?)

Is PEG safe to get in your eyes?

In the light of SARS-COV-2, I think that if you advise people to use spit, you could be considered an agent-provocateur!
:rofl3: .sigh.

Is PEG safe to get in your eyes?
Yes, you can eat it too. I've been looking into PEG:

MiraLAX is PEG 3350. On the label, under 'Inactive Ingredients', it clearly says 'none'. I take that to mean that it is 'pure' PEG 3350. The slime that I finished working with is PEG 3-4 million. PolyEthyleneOxide. Polyethylene glycol - Wikipedia Same basic stuff, the name just changes if you are coming at it from a biomedical vs. a polymer science angle. Lower molecular weights tend to be called PEG and the higher molecular weight tends to be called PEO. Same basic stuff, just a longer chain length.

The right amount of MiraLAX in 10% J&J BS solution sounds like a really good defog that will stay on the glass. But that would be another thread. I'm trying to wrap this one up...

:rofl3: .sigh.

Yes, you can eat it too. I've been looking into PEG:

You can eat Tabasco sauce, too. But, I would not recommend putting it in your eye...

:lurk: jus checking in. Intriguing posts about miralax and baby diapers...how far back do I need to go??
First lock up all sharp objects and firearms, stat from the beginning:wink:

Intriguing posts about miralax and baby diapers...how far back do I need to go??
@Dizzi Lizzi, A page or three, but you might have to weed out some goofing...

Since you asked, here is a sneak preview:

I recently received the Hogentogler sieves that I ordered to better deal with the dry gelling agent in diapers. The idea is to find a 'clean' way to keep the ammonia on the mask lenses. It will either work or it won't, at that point, I'll change gears to deal with @Johnoly's mask contributions and wrap this puppy up...

Oh, and post #645 by @АлександрД which offers the link: Hydrogel - Wikipedia
Most interesting. Looks like that water-loving polymer is cross-linked so that it retains its shape.

Back
Top Bottom