Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you elaborate on

Does it damage the hard plastic?

It definitely can. I posted earlier in this thread about 2 different masks that I soaked in ammonia that had some hard plastic bits break and fall apart while still soaking in the ammonia.

The method that has worked 100% of the time for me and my dive buddies.

Clean new lenses with Jaw "Scrub" three times. Let dry.

Apply Jaws "Spit" properly, never have any fogging issues whatsoever. Dive in temps ranging from 60-85 degrees.

It definitely can. I posted earlier in this thread about 2 different masks that I soaked in ammonia that had some hard plastic bits break and fall apart while still soaking in the ammonia.

Yes, you did post that information. Much appreciated.

Need to return 3 masks from @kelemvor and one from @SleepySlipper
Masks.jpg

I <THINK> that I have all our mask contributors recorded, however, I'm lacking a bit of shipping details for some.

ALL: Please PM me if you donated a frameless mask to this abusive experiment. Your mask really wants to get back to its rightful owner...

From a mask distributor, always read the manufacturers instructions before using anything on your mask!
OK, good advice. I read all that stuff and more. Clue me into anything from a manufacturer, I'll read all of it critically. Who are DGE's manufacturers?

What is your take-away from DGE's (most reasonable) legal position? IMHO, what you posted is nothing more than required boilerplate associated with doing business in the massively litigious USA.

This thread is way into 'big boy' and 'big girl' pants. Read/Assess/React to this thread at your own risk using your own mind. The core intent of this thread is to investigate and report any/all issues and observations with respect to remediating mask fogging. I have no financial interest in this effort. However, I do love to watch and participate in real science.

We press on...

Many modern masks have coatings on the lenses that will be damaged by using abrasives or heat on the lenses. I love reading reviews for a mask that has an ant-fog coating on the inside of the lens and someone is complaining that their mask won't stop fogging up after using a lighter or soft scrub to damage the mask. I have seen a Scuba Instructor tell someone who purchased a $200 mask that they should use soft scrub on the inside of the mask despite the manufacturer putting multiple warning labels on the packaging to not do so! If you have a basic mask with no coatings on the lenses you can do whatever you want, just read the warnings before you screw up your mask and expect the manufacturer to replace it because you didn't bother to heed the warnings.

I love reading reviews for a mask that has an ant-fog coating on the inside of the lens and someone is complaining that their mask won't stop fogging up after using a lighter or soft scrub to damage the mask.
@Lostdiver71 Please share one example of that. A link to who posted that, which manufacturer, and what coating?

Way back in post #1:

"As simple as it seems that it should be, treatments to alleviate mask fogging remain a subject of hot debate. I remain surprised that one definitive answer has not been found long ago.

So, I would like to investigate this in a scientific way. This thread is a spin-off of Glass lens frameless Mask fogging issue in order to avoid a hijack of the OP’s original thread."

We are nearing a tested solution to 'taming' an inexpensive, low-volume, mass-produced, and uncoated mask. Your posts would be best served by creating a new thread.

FWIW here is a video from a dive gear manufacturer demonstrating how to treat a new mask for anti-fogging.

@Lostdiver71 Please share one example of that. A link to who posted that, which manufacturer, and what coating?

Way back in post #1:

"As simple as it seems that it should be, treatments to alleviate mask fogging remain a subject of hot debate. I remain surprised that one definitive answer has not been found long ago.

So, I would like to investigate this in a scientific way. This thread is a spin-off of Glass lens frameless Mask fogging issue in order to avoid a hijack of the OP’s original thread."

We are nearing a tested solution to 'taming' an inexpensive, low-volume, mass-produced, and uncoated mask. Your posts would be best served by creating a new thread.

The Atomic Venom is a mask that has coatings on both sides of the lens and is the one that I watched another Instructor tell my Brother-in-Law to use abrasives which would have ruined the mask according to the manufacturer! Venom ARC - Atomic Aquatics

There are multiple companies that put different coatings on their high end masks including Tusa, SeaVision, Scubapro and Sherwood. I am just trying to warn people that many of the techniques mentioned in this thread are fine to use on many masks BUT they will ruin some masks if used! They should always read the manufacturers warnings and contact the manufacturer if they have any questions. If my brother in law had listened to the Instructor that told him to use soft scrub on his mask he would have damaged his $200 mask and he actually contacted the manufacturer to confirm that despite the multiple warnings in and on the packaging for the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom