Anti reflection ring for Panasonic 8mm fisheye behind dome port.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nickbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i noticed while practicing using my 8mm fisheye in the pool today that all of the writing on the camera (EM1) is visible when looking into the front of the mini dome port on my Olympus housing. I use an anti reflection ring on the 14-42 and 9-18 lenses but I am not aware of what people have done to address this problem with the 8mm Panasonic fisheye as there is no front filter thread. Would manual focus gear help ? Even this would not totally cover the words "Olympus" on the camera. Is there something that could be slipped over the lens barrel ? Or as the dome is so spherical is internal reflection not a problem with this combination ?

I have used the Pany 8mm FE on E-PL1, in my Oly PT-EP01 housing with the AOI acrylic mini dome (DLP-06) on multiple dives, without shade ring, with and without strobes, at dusk, with sunburst background, etc. I have not seen any reflections of the from the camera or lettering on the lens in photos.

I'm not sure it's an issue with this setup. Perhaps the fixed length of the lens allows the dome to be placed close enough to avoid the problem. I've read about reflections as a real issue with the semi-domes used with wide-angle zooms like the 9-18mm, but not for these fisheye setups.
Here's a shot where I would expect reflections could be an issue, but weren't (that I can see, let me know if you see something I missed!):
i-Bv3fhGH-XL.jpg

Not sure if this would solve your exact problem, but it's been pretty standard practice to take a black sharpie to every dive camera I've ever owned to black out any white lettering on a lens

image.jpeg

Not sure if other models of camera and housing have as much of the internals visible through the front of the dome, but this is why I was concerned about internal reflections. Also a little hesitant about attacking the white writing on the body with a marker. Thanks for the posts so far. Are my concerns still unfounded ?

Last edited:
I see what you mean. my system uses the older, non-bayonet, port system and I think the dome is smaller. You could also fabricate your own solution as a precaution. You could create your own shade ring out of black felt, or at a minimum black out the white text on the body with black electrical tape.

I am going down the route of fabricating my own internal shade ring. I have just ordered a replacement lens hood that will slide around the les barrel, and will then have to find a suitable substrate for the shade component. Will post a pick when finished.

I am going down the route of fabricating my own internal shade ring. I have just ordered a replacement lens hood that will slide around the les barrel, and will then have to find a suitable substrate for the shade component. Will post a pick when finished.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Im with the OP, I hate to mark black marker on the lens body. Kinda want it to be in its natural state, both for resale value, and just simply because I like to leave it unaltered.

Got it. I used to be that way until I actually found out a 3 year old camera was worth about 30% of what I paid new for it. :) Now I just use my equipment for me. (Little secret to you though, black sharpie will come right off again with a little harmless mineral spirits and a cotton ball.) But yeah if you can't bring yourself to sharpie your camera just stick a piece of black electrical tape over it and be done with it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom