Any animal besides a human ever SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles-old

Reaction score
I was just curious if they have ever put a cylinder on any other animal besides a human being. It seems very possible that one could train a chimp to breath through a regulator and swim around. A good sealing mask might be an issue though.

That is very intersting and very cool. If there are any more photos of Shadow or any other animal diving please post. I would love to see them.

Bubbles:

Curiously, when Aristotle described an elephant he stated that they could breathe underwater with their long nose. He described this as being exactly what divers do when they breathe through a tube to the surface.

On the parts of animals
Just then as divers are sometimes provided with instruments for respiration, through which they can draw air from above the water, and thus may remain for a long time under the sea, so also have elephants been furnished by nature with their lengthened nostril; and, whenever they have to traverse the water, they lift this up above the surface and breathe through it.

Not exactly SCUBA, but it is a natural method - - and the description is 2,400 years old. :sheik:

There have been a number of dogs that have used scuba and others that have done free diving. I remember reading in an old Skin Diver of a free diving dog in Greece that went down to about 30-40 feet. I've seen pictures of others on scuba with a big bubble helmet that had air hoses attached, something very similar to old cartoons and movies showing people in space.

Chimps are generally afraid of water so it's unlikely they would go into the water.

Aside from certain aquatic birds that swim underwater looking for food, I've never heard of any other land animals diving.

hey...I know one Bunny that dives! *wiggles her nose*.(Gawd..that really made me sound like a bimbo, didn't it!)

And, by the way...where do I get to see pics of this leopard print wetsuit? I keep hearing (reading) everyone talking about pics..but I don't know where to find them. (Ok, so I'm PC-illiterate!)

The suit in question is something Don likes to wear, just give him hech until he sends you a picture of it. I beleive he's on a diving trip right now so it may take a few days.

Thanks Mario...
now, can I have a pic of you in that sexy pink wetsuit of yours??? *grins evilly*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom