Any back supporting weight belts systems out there??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brauem

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a food for invention type question... I have not been diving for a few months now due to sore lower back... i have a traditional waist belt and after 2.5-3 hours of diving, its hard to stand up straight afterwards. Does anyone make a belt that can put the weight slightly lower on the pelvis to help the pull on the lower back? Most harnesses still have the strap go over the lower back, so you still get locallized pulling in the area.

The perfect system would be fully distributed over the suit, but that does not exist. Maybe we need a lead suit. :)

The US Navy Mark 12 system did have a suit that you could put lead weights into. They could be placed in hip, thigh and calf pockets. I have never seen one for sport diving.

SCAN0097.jpg

Here's a food for invention type question... I have not been diving for a few months now due to sore lower back... i have a traditional waist belt and after 2.5-3 hours of diving, its hard to stand up straight afterwards. Does anyone make a belt that can put the weight slightly lower on the pelvis to help the pull on the lower back? Most harnesses still have the strap go over the lower back, so you still get locallized pulling in the area.
The perfect system would be fully distributed over the suit, but that does not exist. Maybe we need a lead suit. :)
How much weight do you dive with?
Have you thought of weight pockets on your BC for some of the lead

You might try a weighted plate from DSS, or add a weight pocket to the cam bands on your tank.

Does anyone make a belt that can put the weight slightly lower on the pelvis to help the pull on the lower back? Most harnesses still have the strap go over the lower back, so you still get locallized pulling in the area. The perfect system would be fully distributed over the suit, but that does not exist.
I am not sure that a weight harness addresses your particular interest, But, in addition to the Dive Rite suggestion, there is always the DUI Weight and trim harness, that has been around for quite a while. (DUI Weight and Trim Classic discounts on sale DUI)

You might want to check out the Seawolf harness from Seasoft - SEASOFT SEAWOLF. It's fully adjustable, and keeps the weight off the lower back.

The perfect system would be fully distributed over the suit, but that does not exist.
Sure it does, albeit with a different application in mind:

Sharksuits | Neptunic

Chain mail shark suits. Depending on your ballast needs, you could just get the feeder sleeves (4 pounds in titanium, 7 pounds in steel), the waders (10 pounds), or the full suit (18-20 pounds). No back pain, no shark bites.
:D

back plate / wings? The hard plate would distribute the weight across your whole back, and maybe mount your tank a little higher so it would push more of its weight toward the upper part of the plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom