Any Barbados resorts with a good house reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With the majority of the world understandably banning Americans, my wife and I exploring our options for a possible trip later in the year. Barbados is one country allowing Americans in now I see, and it is really tempting to me. Seems like it should be safe and have decent scuba diving (anything is better that Lake Michigan of course). Anyway, since my wife doesn't scuba dive, when we travel we normally try to find a hotel with a decent house reef right at it so we can snorkel together when I am not out on a dive. Just a nice way to relax too without having to go out on a boat. Extra nice with social distancing.

I've heard there is an artificial reef by Coconut Court, but don't know if there is anything better. And obviously I would ideally want to still be able to do boat dives on good sites while staying at whatever hotel.

So any advise people can give would be very appreciated.

Full disclaimer: I know travel during a pandemic in general is rather stupid, but it has already been a year since I was in the water and I will go crazy if I have to wait until next year. I'm a scuba addict and need my fix. We already had to cancel a trip back at the end of March. My wife and I take the virus extremely seriously and haven't seen a single friend or relative in person since it began. The only time I ever leave the house is to run to the grocery store, and always with a mask and a ton of hand sanitizer and wash up the moment I get home and even shower after the errands. Wherever we go and whatever the requirements of the country is at the time (these seem to keep changing everywhere), we still plan to get tested just before leaving since it is the responsible thing to do. Once at the destination, we are already largely anti-social people so will keep to ourselves away from others as much as possible and with masks when not possible to stay apart. While our own safety matters to us, we obviously have a responsibility to put the locals' safety first.

Thank you!

Carlyle Bay might be fun to snorkel as there are some shallow wrecks, turtles, and seahorses. It is pretty busy with boats. There are various hotels and such around the bay; essentially it's in Bridgetown, so a different kind of environment than some of the more isolated / purely beach / tourist communities. I have spent a fair amount of time on the West Coast (Holetown). The inshore reef is pretty dead there (although a 5-10 minute boat ride takes you out decent reefs). People do see fish (and a few rays and and turtles) on the mostly dead coral though.

With the majority of the world understandably banning Americans, my wife and I exploring our options for a possible trip later in the year. Barbados is one country allowing Americans in now I see, and it is really tempting to me. Seems like it should be safe and have decent scuba diving (anything is better that Lake Michigan of course). Anyway, since my wife doesn't scuba dive, when we travel we normally try to find a hotel with a decent house reef right at it so we can snorkel together when I am not out on a dive. Just a nice way to relax too without having to go out on a boat. Extra nice with social distancing.

I've heard there is an artificial reef by Coconut Court, but don't know if there is anything better. And obviously I would ideally want to still be able to do boat dives on good sites while staying at whatever hotel.

So any advise people can give would be very appreciated.

Full disclaimer: I know travel during a pandemic in general is rather stupid, but it has already been a year since I was in the water and I will go crazy if I have to wait until next year. I'm a scuba addict and need my fix. We already had to cancel a trip back at the end of March. My wife and I take the virus extremely seriously and haven't seen a single friend or relative in person since it began. The only time I ever leave the house is to run to the grocery store, and always with a mask and a ton of hand sanitizer and wash up the moment I get home and even shower after the errands. Wherever we go and whatever the requirements of the country is at the time (these seem to keep changing everywhere), we still plan to get tested just before leaving since it is the responsible thing to do. Once at the destination, we are already largely anti-social people so will keep to ourselves away from others as much as possible and with masks when not possible to stay apart. While our own safety matters to us, we obviously have a responsibility to put the locals' safety first.

Thank you!
Or you go dive in that little pond to your East

Or you go dive in that little pond to your East
haha I've tried Lake Michigan for diving before. Middle of summer and a 7mm still didn't feel like enough. Not to mention I only saw a single fish species between 2 dives.

Carlyle Bay might be fun to snorkel as there are some shallow wrecks, turtles, and seahorses. It is pretty busy with boats. There are various hotels and such around the bay; essentially it's in Bridgetown, so a different kind of environment than some of the more isolated / purely beach / tourist communities. I have spent a fair amount of time on the West Coast (Holetown). The inshore reef is pretty dead there (although a 5-10 minute boat ride takes you out decent reefs). People do see fish (and a few rays and and turtles) on the mostly dead coral though.
Thanks for the tips. I'll look around there.

Now that I look a little closer, I think I've seen several references to the Holetown area in addition to Carlyle Bay. Aside from wrecks, are the natural reefs for scuba better up by Holetown?

Now that I look a little closer, I think I've seen several references to the Holetown area in addition to Carlyle Bay. Aside from wrecks, are the natural reefs for scuba better up by Holetown?

I've done a lot more dives off Holetown (for reasons unrelated to diving), so I think my best memories are from there. But I think there is decent reefs down south as well, and I've certainly had some fun dives with Barbados Blue out of Carlyle Bay, not just in the Bay but around Bridgetown.

I've done a lot more dives off Holetown (for reasons unrelated to diving), so I think my best memories are from there. But I think there is decent reefs down south as well, and I've certainly had some fun dives with Barbados Blue out of Carlyle Bay, not just in the Bay but around Bridgetown.
I've heard good things about Barbados Blue. And the hotels down south seem a bit cheaper which is always a plus, but I could just be looking at the wrong places.

Thank you for all your help!

I've heard good things about Barbados Blue. And the hotels down south seem a bit cheaper which is always a plus, but I could just be looking at the wrong places.

Thank you for all your help!
Yes, I definitely think the south end is more affordable overall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom