• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Any chance for negative Eddy Flippers?

Discussion in 'Deep 6 Gear' started by Kamaros, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Kamaros

Kamaros DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    @cerich
    A bit of a long shot, but do you guys have any plans to make negatively buoyant versions of the Eddy Flippers? I love using my Eddys with a wetsuit, but I've been finding my trim tilting forwards while wearing them now that I've switched to one of your excellent Makara drysuits. Figured I'd ask before investing in a pair of heavier fins that probably don't come in orange.

2. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    yes but not in the short term.. Sadly I must recommend you get heavier elsewhere

Kamaros likes this.
  3. Anthony A.

Anthony A. Contributor

@cerich wondering if there is any update on the negative version?

4. runsongas

runsongas Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    scubapro jetfin, xs scuba turtle, hollis f1 are all good options already

5. Anthony A.

Anthony A. Contributor

I got jetfins already and didnt like f1's. Jetfins have great weight but nowhere near the foot pocket comfort as eddys.

Eddys are just so perfect, i need a negative version :)

6. divad

divad ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

What about white negative Eddys?

7. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Working toward Cenotes ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Small fishing weights or other lead ingots added where the spring straps attach? Can you replace the existing screws with slightly longer ones to serve as anchor points? Could be hackish or elegant depending on how involved you get.

Hackish: 4 oz flat fishing weights threaded on line, layed on top/side/bottom of pocket, line anchored to spring straps, covered in gorrilla tape for streamlining.

Elegant: bolts extended, weight molded with bolt holes added above and below where spring strap anchors, and anchored with the longer bolt. McMaster-Carr for bolts of all sizes.

Use low melt alloy to avoid lead issues. Low Melt/Fusible Alloys - RotoMetals, or 3D print some bronse.

8. lexvil

lexvil Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Just saying “flippers” is as negative as I want to hear. Have you tried some stiff soled boots for the jets?

9. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    how is flippers negative? marine mammals use flippers, fish use fins. We are mammals..

The whole fin thing came around by divers that wanted to feel superior and special to "mere snorkelers", which is pretty negative all by itself.

10. lexvil

lexvil Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    We aren’t marine mammals, we are hopelessly lumbering visitors to their environment, I see amusement in the sea lions eyes, maybe it more pity.

I just don’t like the term “flippers” I started the JetFins 49 years ago and “flipper was a dolphin smarter than... in Fl.