Any chance of diving again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I,m a retired veteran who has over 700 dives but haven't dove in three years due to PTSD from two stints in Iraq and ending my career in Afghanistan. I have gotten inpatient and outpatient treatment and am rated 50% for PTSD. Is there any chance I could ever dive or should I just sell my stuff and live with all my great memories.:idk:

I think one would have to know a great deal more about your particular manifestations of PTSD to answer the question. On the one hand, the calming environment of the dive might actually help you; on the other hand, if you are given to panic attacks, you might be quite unsafe there.

You need to get with some of the guys who deal with Diveheart and the Wounded Warrior Program. I;d also try to find a shrink or therapist who dives and is familiar with PTSD. Not all are or specialize in it. My new GF has some training ( she is a therapist) but many do as well yet do not treat it on a regular basis. Also I understand that PTSD related to different causes may not always be treated the same. I had some years ago related to the violent loss of my mom. Back then there was no real treatment. Spent many years dealing with that later. One of the things that diving has done for some people I've talked to is give them a release from the outside BS. If I were an instructor in your area I'd be glad to go in with you to a doc and explain what is involved in diving. I;d also see if they were willing to make it part of your treatment program. Could be the best thing for you or the worst. But I would not give up.

And thanks for serving if no one's told you that today.

My son goes back for his second tour Nov. 11th.

Thank's Jim I used to love to dive from living in Panama, NC wrecks, Virginia Quarries, Blackbeards,Club Gitmo, inland lakes in Arkansas. and underwater police dive training in zero viz. Never met a dive I didn't like. I'll start researching options. Again thanks

d,down,
Vet to Vet Each case of PTSD is different. I can tell you that SCUBA Diving is considered a therapy for PTSD assuming you do not have panic attacks etc and is offered by various groups at VA hospitals around the country. For me it helps, it puts me in a good place and helps me sleep. SCUBA feeds the adrenaline junkie and at the same time gives you a calm image to replace the others. The doctors have documented reductions in depression meds and others for those who are diving at my VA. Take a refresher, do some pool work and then try some shallow dives and see how it goes.

Hi DD,

Per the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision, (DSM-IV-TR), 17 possible symptoms that can develop following the experience of a traumatic event are divided into three clusters.

Re-Experiencing Symptoms

-Frequently having upsetting thoughts or memories about a traumatic event.

-Having recurrent nightmares.

-Acting or feeling as though the traumatic event were happening again, sometimes called a “flashback.”

-Having strong feelings of distress when reminded of the traumatic event.

-Being physically responsive, such as experiencing a surge in your heart rate or sweating, to reminders of the traumatic event.

Avoidance Symptoms

-Making an effort to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations about the traumatic event.

-Making an effort to avoid places or people that remind you of the traumatic event.

-Having a difficult time remembering important parts of the traumatic event.

-A loss of interest in important, once positive, activities.

-Feeling distant from others.

-Experiencing difficulties having positive feelings, such as happiness or love.

-Feeling as though your life may be cut short.

Hyperarousal Symptoms

-Having a difficult time falling or staying asleep.

-Feeling more irritable or having outbursts of anger.

-Having difficulty concentrating.

-Feeling constantly “on guard” or like danger is lurking around every corner.

-Being “jumpy” or easily startled.

Clearly many of these could pose a significant danger to diving.

All divers must show attention, concentration, decision making capacity, impulse control and behavioral modulation that are fully adequate to meet the demands of scuba. These faculties may be compromised in persons diagnosed with PTSD and treated with mood stabilizers such as the SSRI citalopram (Celexa) and the anti-convulsant divalproex sodium (Depakote).

Before returning to SCUBA, it would be prudent that: (a) mental status examination demonstrates the condition to be well controlled; (b) the diver who is taking medications has been on them for an extended period and side effects dangerous to scuba are neither reported nor observed upon careful examination; (c) there are no other contraindications, mental or physical, in the clinical picture; (d) the diver feels he is up to it and fully comprehends any additional risks; (e) the diver has been cleared for diving by his physician and makes full disclosure to the dive op (which likely will want to see written clearance) and to his/her dive buddy.

Best of luck and thanks for serving your country.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such. Consult with your physician before diving.

I also spoke to my local congressman. Who also happens to be a psychologist and Lt Cmdr in the Naval Reserve. He works with PTSD vets at the VA hospital. I have a name of one of his aides that is a a retired Command Master Sergeant and works closely with the Wounded Warrior program. We are setting up a meeting after the elections to see if we can get the ball rolling on something here in my area. He agreed that depending on how the condition is manifesting would determine how likely it is for you to go back in the water. Getting a treatment program together with your treatment team is the best course and could be the best thing for you if everyone involved is fully aware of and understands the entire deal.

Ddown, I wish you the best. I hope you are able to dive again and know what you struggle thru. I had been hit by a 30 foot rogue wave that crushed my body on while on holiday 4 days prior to Thanksgiving 2009. Medevac back to US, weeks in trauma unit etc etc etc.....

Long story short I was able to get back in the saddle- Pool again but the high level of anxiety was almost over whelming in the beginning(small example- I had anxiety the first time we drove to the beach and I saw it from my truck! much less the first time in the water). I love diving as you do and it is theraputic. Don't take this battle on your own, in the military we trained as a team and that still holds true now- just different, dealing with the stuff inside of us but there is support and we earned it, it helps. I did. I called in close air support it was my wife. My evac from mission gone wrong are my buds. Supply unit are friends and family.

Good luck Ddown.
Aquabear

OK I served as well and have PTSD. In no way would I sell my kit. I have no idea what your triggers are but it is all in the way you deal with them when they hit. For me going to our under water world does it for me. It takes me away from my tank in kandahar and if now find no better way to calm down. Find yourself a good dive buddy and see you under the waves.

Do get professional help from a good therapist who is familiar with scuba diving.
Do contact folks in various vet outreach programs that work specifically with PTSD.
Do contact folks in groups that work with people with various disabilities and conditions who help them dive.

Do not just go jump in the water without a support crew there for you.
Do not just 'try to get over it' without help.
Do not give up or sell your gear.

You'll get there, but you have to be patient with yourself and do not give up. Use the resources out there to help you, and one day you'll be diving again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom