Any chance of diving again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, I want to thank you for your service.

Good advice here - I have really nothing to add in that regard.

I would like to say that as a veteran with (non-service related) PTSD, I have found that diving has been very good therapy for me, my treatment providers encourage me to do as much diving as I am able to do. I would encourage you to work with your treatment providers to get back into the water when you're ready.

Good luck...

Gitmo, should be reclassified into a debriefing center for combat vets. A 5 star resort for those that have seen the worst. I strongly believe it is the way we return our vets to society that creates this very problem.

We take them out of society, condition them, train them for condition red, Teach them to release the monster in us all, place them in harms way where every smell, snap, pop and crackle becomes important for their well being, and when their time is up, we bring them home and say thanks, now behave.

Living in this society is filled with dangers, sometimes, I think it is worse than in combat. To be stripped of your backup, your defenses, your extra set of eyes and ears only raises your condition alertness.

I say we take them out of harms way, with the buddies they bonded to. Put them in a City environment filled with fellow soldiers, and teach them to enjoy nature, smells, and sounds again. Gitmo sure is a beautiful place to dive and has all the resources to be a controlled environment and step casually from condition red to yellow and at the correct times condition white.

I would rather see my tax dollars spoiling my kids for an unspeakable job well done, then for a $10,000 a plate dinner for a politician so he can arrange an under the table deal, or funding programs this country has no right sicking it's nose in to begin with.

To the OP, talk it straight, welcome home, and yes, You are welcome to relax and dive, you have earned it.

Thank you, For your service to our great country.
If you decide to start diving again. And find your self coming to Southern Calif. Drop me a line. Dive boats run year around here.

Regards

I've had 1 dive trip to San Diego Kelp forests AND AN pair of Islands south of San Diego that we dove. Great diving with Seals and everything neat memories

Getting Appt with Dr feeling so much better about things and life in general. I'm getting set up with shop that has HSA instructor to do a refresher pool session since I have over 600 dives I can show that I've logged. Hopefully if Dr signs off I'm Baack

Tom:D

Glad to hear things are looking up. Wishing you the best at getting back into the water. All things are possible. I had a recent health setback and wondered if I was going to live to dive. I am doing well but what helped me was imagining myself diving. I've been back in the water now and it's great. Don't sell your gear. Best of luck to you and thanks for the sacrifices you made for us.

ddown:

I too have PTSD. 50 % disability. I am a PADI divemaster and dive 2 or 3 times a month depending on the tides.

I served two tours in Viet Nam in the Infantry and I'm 71 years old. I ain't about to give up diving or kayaking just because I've been diagnosed with PTSD. The local Vet Center has been a lot of help.

I you want to talk about it further, feel free to PM me. You don't have to give up what you like to do.

John D

I'm a disabled vet as well and have a lot of friends that are very close to the Wounded Warrior program. Send me a PM if you want any contact info. Sounds like you have it all in line though, but if things get bad don't hesitate to reach out to those who have reached out to you....

Thanks to every one !!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom