Any comments on the Drager Ray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
Check your PMs, I'll send one in that regard.

Cheers mate, just what I was after. I banged it in the resources section of my site just in case anyone is interested.

It is an interesting document but has now got me thinking how water temperature will affect scrubber performance as the dräger tests were run in water at -2° C ... hmmm... I guess I'll post that in another thread.

Glad that helps.
Is that one of the homing devices you guys were using at Rockingham?
How is that working out for you?
There was just a 'sonar' thread in the computer and gauges forum asking sort of the same questions.

caveseeker7:
Is that one of the homing devices you guys were using at Rockingham?
How is that working out for you?

Yeah, it's called a Sonic Seeker and is distributed by Land & Sea Sports here is Australia. I won't tell you what I think of it yet, as we only just bought it and have only had one try so far. By what I have heard, it is supposed to be a good piece of equipment.

I'll post more in the appropriate forum once I've had a bit more experience with it.

Realizing the original post is old...there still may be some interest in this subject...I dive with both an FGT-5400...which is the M-Spec Dolphin and a Ray...
The Ray is inherently light and more ballast is required...I dive my unit with an aluminium 30...and sling an aluminium 30 for bailout...
My unit is fitted with a 40% orifice/bypass cup...as opposed to the original fitment 50% cup...
In my opinion one of the nicest features of the Ray over the Dolphin is that it operates on standard 1st stage IP...10.5 BAR...152 PSI...as opposed to the 1st stage IP...17.5 BAR...253 PSI...of the Dolphin...this means you can swap out the simple, unbalanced, open spring chambered Ray 1st stage and replace it with a quality depth compensating, environmentally sealed 1st stage with the IP set at 10.5 BAR...this also eliminates the need for Drager to DIN adapters or the need to use Drager tank valves...
Slinging bailout also eliminates the Ray integrated second stage bailout reg...and it provides additional ballast for the ''light unit...
To attach bailout I've fitted the top right ''D'' ring on the Ray jacket with a small webbed sewn loop with a small ''D'' ring on one end to attache the top bailout tank harness snap...and a quick-link on the other end of the sewn loop to attach the loop to the jacket ''D'' ring...
For bottom bailout tank attachment I use a side-mount bungee with a large s/s ''O'' ring on the bailout tank bottom snap hook end with the opposite end of the bungee attached to the cam-band for the main NITROX tank...I just reach around behind me on my right side...grab the bungee by the ''O'' ring...stretch it around...and clip it to the bottom snap hook on the bailout tank harness...
To monitor PPO2 I use a Drager OXYgauge...as opposed to plugging the OXYgauge into the P-Port fitting on the bottom of the scrubber canister I use a TecMe in-loop sensor housing that attaches to the inhalation loop/inhalation counter-lung...this gives you an accurate PPO2 reading immediately preceding the inhalation breath...taking the PPO2 reading from the water trap in the bottom of the scrubber canister not only subjects your sensor to excessive unwanted moisture...but it give you a weak PPO2 reading ''pre'' fresh gas injection.
In closing...I only dive my units to maximum recreational depth...and they both work fine...both units are new...and during assembly and pre-check protocols I lube all fittings/connections with oxygen compatible lubricant...and when fully assembled they will both hold negative pressure for a full 24 hours... in my opinion...if it's not holding...it's leaking...
Not so many Dolphin units available these days but brand new/old stock Ray units seem to still appear on a regular basis...W S Water Safety GMBH in Berlin still has some stock left of new pieces...in fact there seems to be more Ray parts available than Dolphin...there are no more service parts available for the HP Dolphin 1st stage regulators...TecMe has a high tension spring and an Apek 1st stage that the high tension spring will fit...re and re the springs and this Apek first stage can now be adjusted to the higher Dolphin IP flow requirements...Like everything that was ever designed for anything...in manufacturers fitment...both units have their limitations...but having said that...they certainly do ''well'' what they were intended to do...
Safe Diving...Warren

Back
Top Bottom