Any decent diving possible in Puerto Vallarta in mid-June? Pelagics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyTo Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have been to PV before but this time we'd like to get in a few dives if it's worth taking our gear for, mostly wanting to find large animals (mantas/sea lions).

My little bit of internet research isn't looking too hopeful... Los Arcos and Marietas Island get mentioned the most but I'm not sure how realistic it is for us to expect pelagics in June (or which op is the best for small groups/etc)? Thanks in advance!

I've been there in April and we saw dozens of eagle rays at Los Arcos, but no other pelagics.

The divemaster said Mantas are there occasionally, but I think if you're expecting them on any given dive you'll be disappointed. It's just luck of the draw. I dove with PVoceantours. I feel like it was well run, by a passionate Brit.

Overall diving in PV was so-so - there's not a lot of coral and the visibility isn't great. But I was otherwise happy to get on a boat and get under water. Turtles, eels, lobster, nudis, eagle rays... maybe not world class but if I'd happily dive again!

Here's a 4 minute video with my highlights from 1 morning of diving, and some snorkeling

Back
Top Bottom