Any disadvantages of soft backplate for tropical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My SS BP with 40# Oxycheq wing and webbing harness serves me very well, but I'm considering getting the Oxycheq Ultralite BP and a 30# wing for easier travel. (I'm concerned the 18# wing won't be quite enough lift at the surface.) I've got webbing and extra hardware, so I'm not interested in the oxycheq travel bundle.

I know there have been lots of "which travel BC" threads, but it was hard to focusing in on my real question: are there any disadvantages to a less-stiff BP for diving with a single 80 or 100 AL? Any one have experience with the Oxycheq ultralite BP specifically?

Thanks.
-Don

PS: "BuckshotMagoo" on eBay (aka John at NortheastScubaSupply) has a few OxyCheq #18 and #40 wings on closeout for $200. These are orange wings that have faded a bit on display. An opportunity for the less fashion conscious. Sadly John doesn't have any 30# wings on closeout.

18lbs should be fine if you are diving in a 3mm or less. No real disadvantage to soft plates for travel other than they take a while to dry out. The Oxycheqs are pretty slick for that. I still take my SS plate with me whenever I travel since I much prefer it.

Last edited:
18lbs should be fine if using AL80 and 3mm, with reasonably accurate weighting.

It's what I use, for rare single-tank jaunts...with 4lbs of weight in an XL 3mm full wetsuit.

I've tried the soft backplate (own one). I much prefer an aluminium plate....it's more stable.

I've got this with a HOG 23# wing....

upload_2017-4-20_11-43-8.png

prefer the rigid stability, zero dry time, and is is light as well as compact. Just had it to FLA.

I have the the Oxy softplate with a DSS 17lb wing. I have no issues with drying time or stabilizing al 80 tanks. Yes, you will notice it feels different than a hard plate. It feels like you are strapped to the tank and the tank sits nicely in between your shoulder blades. The softplate also eliminates the possibility of pinch flats, is lighter and easier to pack.

In Cozumel I dive with Aldora and steel 120's. I do notice it is less stable compared to my aluminum backplate with those big tanks, but I still choose to dive the softplate because the big steel tanks already make me way negatively buoyant and I don't want an additional 2lbs neg of the al plate. Plus slight movement is not a big deal.

Take a look at the Mares XR softplate as an option to the Oxy. It has a lot more attachment points for carrying accessories. Just make sure your wing of choice matches up with the Mares cam band slots and mounting holes.

Sorry for the long post. Only disadvantage for warm water is slightly less stability.

Last edited:
I just got the Oxychec soft back plate and the thing I don't like about it is that it only uses one cam band. Zeagle's Express Tech is a far better solution. I travel with mine and a 42 pound wing. The bungees keep it from going all taco on me and I don't have to worry about having enough lift.

Oxy uses 2 cam bands. The top cam band goes through a heavily sewn sleeve on the rear of the plate.

It is good to have options. Oxy, Mares, Apeks, Zeagle, sell softplates. Slight differences between them all, but they are more alike than different. Kind of like the differences between metal backplates.

full.jpg

Last edited:
I hadn't noticed the oxycheq only has 1 cam band slot - that makes me uncomfortable.
[Edit] I just saw ronscuba's explanation that the Oxycheq does have 2 cam bands. Ignore the above sentence.]
The Mares XR seems comparable, but now I'm worried the mounting holes won't match my oxycheq wing (I'm planning to get another wing, but would like to keep everything compatible.) @rhwestfall has what appears to be the oxycheq SS travel plate, which seems like a nice compromise of weight, size, and rigidity.

Pete has mentioned his hybrid Zeagle Express Tech a few times, and it's interesting, but I'm not clear what bits of the webbing are sewn on. How modular is it, pete? Can you add D-rings and such anywhere you like? Also, I notice Zeagle sells their express BP separately, but I can't tell what's going on with the cam bands from the photos.

Last edited:
i used to own a ZET. There aren't slots for the cam bands. rather there are sewn loops on the back you thread your cam bands through. you can fit either one or two cam bands. you can put regular webbing onto the soft plate to make a harness. no problem adding drings and a crotch strap if you go that route.

Back
Top Bottom