Any dive reports for Xcalak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen a couple of mentions of Xcalak in posts on other topics, but I haven't seen any specific dive reports. It looks like XTC Dive Shop is the only option. Worth the long trip? Any suggestions for where stay?

My son and I took the trip down about 8 years ago.
Diving with xtc.
Stayed and ate at Costa de Coco.
All great.
Very quiet.
Power turns off at night.
A three or four day trip is perfect if you can dive each day. Then head over to Bacalar.

One of my favorite meals was enjoyed there.
While waiting for our shrimp and lobster pizza, I was eating bread and butter with a pinch of salt and pepper.
I mentioned to the waiter how delicious it was and he responded, we just took the bread out of the oven, the butter is from a local farmers and was hand made. The salt is sal de Mar and the pepper is fine ground locally grown pimenta.
10/10 would do again.

I dive there all the time. Do you have specific questions? Some info:

- It's about a 3.5 hour drive from Playa, I can do it in 3 sometimes depending on traffic/weather.
- Xcalak is a small town, maybe 700 residents. No big stores, all tiny mom/pop tiendas
- XTC is a great dive shop. They are known worldwide for their dive training programs. Any given visit, you may be diving with 1-5 DMI trainees.
- If you're worried about conditions, check windy.com or windguru. Any winds over 10 generally means lots of chop and poor visibility, though it's good for seeing big Tarpon at La Poza.
- XTC has about 20 dive sites, and they are mostly comparable to Cozumel, though Cozumel is more colorful. You can do a trip out to Banco Chinchorro, which is amazing.
- The head DMs right now are Andy (Chile) and Mayra (Holland). A very cool and talented couple. I've done many dives with them.
- The head DM instructor (Konrad) just left. There is a new manager there (Darius) who just transferred from Thailand. I haven't met him.
- The food at the restaurant is great, prepared daily by Dalmain (Jamaica). Awesome guy and great chef.
- They have hotel rooms, but they are too pricey for what you get. Check out Casa Cangrejo or Costa de Cocos. There are also a bunch of places to stay farther down the dirt road north of XTC. I've stayed at Casa Caracola, which is amazing, but it's a 10 minute drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom