Any diver out there been attacked by a big shark?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I used to spearfish there were many times when we would have to deal with aggressive sharks. I even had several follow me all the way back to the boat and once had one take a chunk out of my fin. They would only do that when we had spearguns when diving the same area without the spearguns we never had problems.

Has there ever been a case where a scuba diver was attacked by a shark...

Give me a second to clean the coffee spit off my computer screen.....Welcome to Jupiter Florida..where spearos get challenged every damm weekend !!

Thx I'll read thru the links. I guess without any weapon even the strongest person is toast when attacked by a big shark.

I carry a small knife just in case, i can jab at the eyes, gills if needed

Yes. And so have some of my friends. I wrote a book about it. I don't have any part of my body missing (apart from an appendix).

@miserkris

I did a dance with a huge lemon shark many years ago in Vera Cruz Mexico
fought it off with a camera.
I was an attractive snack for an estimated 14 foot Hammerhead during the very first recreational dive at Farnsworth Banks in California-- read old post on this board
You can survive a shark !

I have three dear departed friends who lost their lives to GWS
Al Sneppersnoff--GWS bit his leg -fatal
Randy Fry- GWS bit his head off - it was never found -fatal
Debbie Franzman- GWS bit her hip -fatal.

You may read about Al in the book The Golden Sea by playboy press

Harry Ingram was attacked by a GWS 11 years after Al but survived by shooting the shark at point blank range at the very last moment - you may read about his encounter in
The last of the Bluewater Hunters by Carlos Eyels.

We are in the sharks territory

The sharks are an occupational hazard of diving-- if you are concerned take up golf !

@drrich2
Bret Gilliam ? I suspect you also believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus

Sam Miller, 111

Risk analysis, dude. Risk analysis.

Dive in shark-infested waters, either in low vis or while spear fishing, be prepared for the occasional shark encounter. Most of those encounters end well, with both the diver and the shark escaping unscathed. Some don't, either for the shark or for the diver.

In most waters, even the risk of bumping into a shark of a species which may pose a risk to humans, is negligible. You are at much higher risk of dying or being seriously hurt during your drive to the site than during your dive.

My personal philosophy is that if a wild animal is about my size or larger, or have sharp teeth/talons/whatever, I treat it with the appropriate amount of respect, try to keep a healthy distance and don't actively hang out on their turf. It has worked pretty well so far.

And if a large wild animal decides to take a closer look at you, perhaps even thinking about checking out how you taste, pure luck will usually decide the outcome of the encounter. Bear spray, a .44 mag or a spear gun can only make a marginal difference.

Risk analysis, dude. Risk analysis.

Dive in shark-infested waters, either in low vis or while spear fishing, be prepared for the occasional shark encounter. Most of those encounters end well, with both the diver and the shark escaping unscathed. Some don't, either for the shark or for the diver.

In most waters, even the risk of bumping into a shark of a species which may pose a risk to humans, is negligible. You are at much higher risk of dying or being seriously hurt during your drive to the site than during your dive.

My personal philosophy is that if a wild animal is about my size or larger, or have sharp teeth/talons/whatever, I treat it with the appropriate amount of respect, try to keep a healthy distance and don't actively hang out on their turf. It has worked pretty well so far.

And if a large wild animal decides to take a closer look at you, perhaps even thinking about checking out how you taste, pure luck will usually decide the outcome of the encounter. Bear spray, a .44 mag or a spear gun can only make a marginal difference.
Excellent analysis. Thanks for not elaborating on statistics showing all the things that can hurt you being much more likely than shark attacks.
My thought is if I ever do (haven't yet) see a shark I'd try to slowly slip away and out of the water.

My thought is if I ever do (haven't yet) see a shark I'd try to slowly slip away and out of the water.
Mine as well. The shark is bigger than I am, and it has rather sharp teeth. Two very good reasons for keeping a healthy distance.

Nature isn't a petting zoo. It's literally a dog eat dog (or rather, animal eat animal) world. And wild animals are... not domesticated.

Back
Top Bottom