• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Any diver out there been attacked by a big shark?!

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by miserkris, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Dan

Dan Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    No more

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. jeffsky29

jeffsky29 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Feeding sharks teaches the wrong behavior. Last thing I want is a Tiger shark coming up to me expecting to be fed. No different from feeding bears when camping - you don’t do it. If something went wrong, this should not even be counted as a shark attack. I know it would go down as a provoked attack, but this shows you how counting the number of provoked attacks is a useless measurement.

3. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

What I saw in the second video was the way the Oceanic white tip was behaving on his first approach. Look at the body language. I'd be at the ladder and in the second approach, would have leapt to the roof of the boat. :)

4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

No! Stop it please

5. maudiver216

maudiver216 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'm trying to go diving every other weekend (both Sat and Sun if possible) until the end of the year starting this weekend. Mostly shore dives since it's a lot cheaper.

6. formernuke

formernuke Manta Ray

7. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    That was the summer I learned to dive.

I didn't move out to the west coast until much later. One of my non diving friend's dad was out diving with them that day. Through him I met and dove with others aboard that day, so I heard the story from a few points of view and it did impress me, probably since the north coast is a short trip, for a GWS, from the Farralons.

200px-redtrianglesharkplace.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is good news, unless the shark gets in a lucky (for them) bite, you can get back to shore and live. And, unless you take up surfing, they probably won't bother you.

This link goes to a site that tracks a lot of marine creatures, and you can select out GWS.
    https://www.ocearch.org/tracker/

Bob

Wingy, Jersey and Scuba Lawyer like this.
  8. Jersey

Jersey Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I had the pleasure of diving with Lee at the very start of my diving when he owned Ocean Explorers, St. Marteen. Amazing story, great guy, saw my first shark (Carib reef) while buddied with him. Maybe ow dive #4. I've seen quite a few since, typically the mundane reef & nurse types.

I felt stalked once. Six foot reef approached my group of 5 head on, then passed to our right about 15 feet out. We all stopped, watched, it swam away. About 10 minutes later the bugger came up from behind on our left, this time only 9 or 10 feet off my buddys shoulder, again we stopped, watched it swim away in front of us. Third time was a head on pass to my side (right) and I could just about stick a hand out and pet it. I stuck closer to my buddy after that.

Bob DBF and chillyinCanada like this.
  9. foob

foob Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Oceanic white tip came up behind me but when DM told me to turn around and I did. It immediately turned and swam off. They do know when you are observing them or not.

Came to about a yard away.

Then a month later a German tourist was bitten but lived. Then staying overnight in Brothers was banned.

Another guy got nearly bitten and got a nice video from it. Moved his leg just in time.

10. miserkris

miserkris Barracuda

So do hammer heads ever get aggressive if yes, is it the great scallop kind?