Any Divers with Tinnitus??(ringing in the ears)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ac777

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I've had subjective Tinnitus for about 3 years. when there"s no back ground noise its very loud.
But I've been free diving and scubadiving and found the noise and pressure and surroundings of being under are very soothing ,but there is a price for all good things !!!
once I'm out the noise return's an at a level that can be very unforgiving.

If you or someone you know has this drop a line.

Kevin Mc Court, AKA, ac777

I have the same situation. I have a slight ringing I really don't notice until it is mostly quiet. I haven't really noticed if mine disappears underwater, probbaly because I'm used to it by now. But I'll be diving some in a few days and I will try to see if it goes away for me too. I'll let you know.

My husband has tinnitus and finds it very annoying. I don't know if it is better underwater, though.

Tinnitus is a common problem, and a specific cause for it is often impossible to find, and there are rarely any good treatments. Unless it is due to a medication (eg. aspirin) it's mostly a matter of learning to live with it.

i've noticed mine goes away under water, but, to be honest i haven't noticed it worsening when i get back topside. i usually have to be in a quiet room before it gets annoying. I'm with WildBill where i've basically ignore it.

A bit off topic, I suppose I should find a tinnitus forum... my husband has had tinnitus for years... for those of you who have it I am very sorry, sometimes my DH seems so miserable, he misses out so much, especially with the little sounds our little kids make. How hard is for you who have it to cope everyday? sometimes I look at him and wonder how much he is suffering/annoyed with it, it makes me sad.

Maybe if he knew it went away UW he might try diving.... silly me.... he doesn't need to dive lol!

I developed tinnitus this summer before I finished my open water diver certification. My experience has been different than yours (9 dives). I can not tell an increase in volume after the dive. Also, during my dives I have not noticed the high pitched humming...that I hear now. My son...being concerned for his dad came across some articles that suggest some people notice that the noise goes away after 7 meters. I dont know if it is my focus on what I am doing...the background noise, or something else...but I dont notice the noise while diving.

As someone that has tinnitus the best thing I can do is not think about it...the more I think about it the louder it gets. I use relaxation techniques and distraction to escape the noise.

I got tinnitus when I was about 19 years old from lot's of gunfire, then later working in body shops with loud grinding, air hammers, etc. I used hearing protection but probably not enough.
Now the ringing is constant and it is loud. Sometimes it sounds like chirping and not just the steady high pitched ring. I try not to dwell on it because it will truelly drive you insane if you let it, and there is no way to make it stop. I can't hear things like high pitched computer alarms, or home fire detectors no matter how loud they are.
One guy I know popped a hole in his dome with a pistol because he finally couldn't take it any more.
I've made tinnitus my friend, it's always there just like a buddy. It doesn't bother me when I sleep. I don't even think about it much. It is what it is and I live with it.

But on a lighter note, I do notice it goes away when I descend, that is until I go deep and get a touch of narcosis. The very first thing that gets affected is my tinnitus and it gets very loud before any other symtoms occur. I guess this is a good pre warning that I'm getting looped and better go up a bit. So maybe my tinnitus is useful for something afterall.

I also have trouble hearing shrill female voices when I come home late from diving, "Ehhh, what was that honey?" ha ha ha.
I knew tinnitus could be usefull some day.

I also have tinnitus and have found diving to be the VERY BEST distraction for this problem to date! Not a cure by any means, but a wonderful distraction and therefore treatment. It does tend to get worse with blocked ears from water @ the surface, but even thinking about dive(s) helps a great deal. Distraction from the ringing is the only treatment I have found so far.

I have had mine since childhood 24-7 always noticable. I have found that after ending a diving day I have found that drying the ear canal carefully with a Q-tip reduces the level of the ringing.

hope this helps it's a bite at times

I hear you. I always took care and never listened to loud music and wore ear protection in loud environments. But some unanticipated loud events in Iraq left me blessed with the ringing for the past 3 years next week. It can drive you to self destruction. Diving helps with it and other related "issues". Sometimes it gets louder or changes pitch, just in case I was getting use to the one it was at and tuning it out. Oh well, it is what is it.

Keeping busy and diving often is the best thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom