Any Divers with Tinnitus??(ringing in the ears)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have tinnitus and have found diving to be the VERY BEST distraction for this problem to date! Not a cure by any means, but a wonderful distraction and therefore treatment. It does tend to get worse with blocked ears from water @ the surface, but even thinking about dive(s) helps a great deal. Distraction from the ringing is the only treatment I have found so far.

I have a (thankfully mild) case mostly in the left ear and have the same experience. During the dive and sometimes for 1-2 days afterwards .... bliss.

On the downside, the tinnitus co-incided with me starting to dive ...so it may be a mixed blessing

I have had Tinnitus for so long I can't remember when it started. I do know that the ENT doc I went to said I should stop diving. That was also for hearing loss. Actually, I think it was from standing too close to tanks in the Army while they were firing the main gun. My ears still ring (like a swarm of Cicadas in my head) and I still have hearing problems AND I am still diving. I can't remember if my buzzing continues underwater - I am normally concentrating on my dive so maybe I am just ignoring the noise. Either way, at least I am getting a buzz out of diving (sorry - pun intended). Has anyone noticed if Nitrox makes a difference?

Neil

I just did a 60' dive wed (pat mcallister tug ) an had the same effect no ring during I think pressure N02/02 and what going on down under helps as a distraction. But again the downfall
its thurs 4am cant sleep due too the noise????

I hear you. I always took care and never listened to loud music and wore ear protection in loud environments. But some unanticipated loud events in Iraq left me blessed with the ringing for the past 3 years next week. It can drive you to self destruction. Diving helps with it and other related "issues". Sometimes it gets louder or changes pitch, just in case I was getting use to the one it was at and tuning it out. Oh well, it is what is it.

Keeping busy and diving often is the best thing.

I was hit in the head with a fourty pound case from 15' high direct hit to the back of the head.(workercomp) I went to a study up at NYU they have an MEG up there that reads the brain to find out whats going on, but so far 2 years later no word on a cure or any good info on what I can do for relief??? OH an also watch out for scams there are many out there for the relief of TINNITUS.:shakehead:

I hear you. I always took care and never listened to loud music and wore ear protection in loud environments. But some unanticipated loud events in Iraq left me blessed with the ringing for the past 3 years next week. It can drive you to self destruction. Diving helps with it and other related "issues". Sometimes it gets louder or changes pitch, just in case I was getting use to the one it was at and tuning it out. Oh well, it is what is it.

Keeping busy and diving often is the best thing.

I developed tinnitus this summer before I finished my open water diver certification. My experience has been different than yours (9 dives). I can not tell an increase in volume after the dive. Also, during my dives I have not noticed the high pitched humming...that I hear now. My son...being concerned for his dad came across some articles that suggest some people notice that the noise goes away after 7 meters. I dont know if it is my focus on what I am doing...the background noise, or something else...but I dont notice the noise while diving.

As someone that has tinnitus the best thing I can do is not think about it...the more I think about it the louder it gets. I use relaxation techniques and distraction to escape the noise.

I do the same but diving seems to be the best so far!:D

A bit off topic, I suppose I should find a tinnitus forum... my husband has had tinnitus for years... for those of you who have it I am very sorry, sometimes my DH seems so miserable, he misses out so much, especially with the little sounds our little kids make. How hard is for you who have it to cope everyday? sometimes I look at him and wonder how much he is suffering/annoyed with it, it makes me sad.

Maybe if he knew it went away UW he might try diving.... silly me.... he doesn't need to dive lol!

My wife the same I go dive she doesnt hear me complain about it ?????
There are alot of groups out there for help (I'd rather dive in a pool with a lot of good people around me:D) but in my case I just cant .I miss being around alot of people but its very difficult I feel I might not hear very well when someone talks to me.
It has dissrupted my life to the point of change that I'm not use to .
I need a fulltime underwater job that pays ok money( B.P. HIRE ME ):eyebrow:

I have had Tinnitus for so long I can't remember when it started. I do know that the ENT doc I went to said I should stop diving. That was also for hearing loss. Actually, I think it was from standing too close to tanks in the Army while they were firing the main gun. My ears still ring (like a swarm of Cicadas in my head) and I still have hearing problems AND I am still diving. I can't remember if my buzzing continues underwater - I am normally concentrating on my dive so maybe I am just ignoring the noise. Either way, at least I am getting a buzz out of diving (sorry - pun intended). Has anyone noticed if Nitrox makes a difference?

Neil
If nitrox helps than the next course will be taken for Me!!!!
I also have hearing loss but its just the noise covering what I should be hearing.
I had my ears check every 6 months and so far ears ok noise loud.
The funniest thing I was told by a Doctor was your body has internal noise
you dont hear it at all ? But if you could it would drive you out of your mind!! So I take it as its a natural thing the body does so deal with from what He said????????????

I've got it pretty good in my right ear. I have noticed that it is not nearly as loud when I am diving.
I used to have trouble sleeping because of the ringing. Then I bought a white noise machine. The best money I have ever spent. If you have trouble sleeping for any reason, I would urge you to try it. It takes a little getting used to, but it's well worth it. You can even download white noise CDs or MP3's for a cheaper alternative, or to try it before you buy it.
Mine has all sorts of settings from just raw white noise, to ocean waves, to thunder storms. I am amazed at how much better I sleep now.
I am not sure if it will help every one with tinnitus, but it helped mask mine, so that I can get a good night sleep.
Good luck to every one out there!

My ears still ring (like a swarm of Cicadas in my head) and I still have hearing problems AND I am still diving. I can't remember if my buzzing continues underwater...
Yah, what he said - got a ton of those dang cicadas in my head too.
Some meds & foods will crank up the noise but for the most part it's just something I ignore.
Sleeping with the TV on is a good way to drown it out at night.
Also a good excuse why ya really need to get a big screen TV.:D
I wonder if that makes the TV a deductible medical expense???:eyebrow:

Yah, what he said - got a ton of those dang cicadas in my head too.
Some meds & foods will crank up the noise but for the most part it's just something I ignore.
Sleeping with the TV on is a good way to drown it out at night.
Also a good excuse why ya really need to get a big screen TV.:D
I wonder if that makes the TV a deductible medical expense???:eyebrow:
I'm feeling that way too I wonder about medical diving expense????? :crafty:
(rebreather,new dry suit,vr3 console @2 each,yacht):rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom