Any Divers with Tinnitus??(ringing in the ears)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got it pretty good in my right ear. I have noticed that it is not nearly as loud when I am diving.
I used to have trouble sleeping because of the ringing. Then I bought a white noise machine. The best money I have ever spent. If you have trouble sleeping for any reason, I would urge you to try it. It takes a little getting used to, but it's well worth it. You can even download white noise CDs or MP3's for a cheaper alternative, or to try it before you buy it.
Mine has all sorts of settings from just raw white noise, to ocean waves, to thunder storms. I am amazed at how much better I sleep now.
I am not sure if it will help every one with tinnitus, but it helped mask mine, so that I can get a good night sleep.
Good luck to every one out there!
I was almost there with Neromonics (6000$) but found out it can not cover my high pitch 18000dbs to20000dbs and a low pitch sound to match. I wreck all mp3 an cd players to the max while sleeping 4 to 8 ear buds a year so far, they do make wireless buds at $3000 to $4000 .:no:

Thanks marinediva,

I have had problems with my jaw in the past. After diving I would have a problem opening my mouth and chewing snacks during my SIT for a brief period. But I don't have it anymore, and I thought that I solved the issue by paying attention to how much I clench my jaw while holding my reg. Never thought it could be related to my ear problems now.

TMJ is a major culpirt in the onset of Tinnitus - for those who have jaw issues. My ENT (and supported by the folks at DAN) indicated that Tinnitus is so difficult to treat because it occurs as the result of some sort of other issue. What has to be discovered is what the issue was that ultimately resulted in the onset of the tinnitus. In other words - first came the TMJ - then came the Tinnitus.

Many types of it ,I hate the one I have caused by a hit to the head it subjective Tinnitus the ring is not in the ears I hear it in the center of my head!!!!

I developed tinnitus this summer before I finished my open water diver certification. My experience has been different than yours (9 dives). I can not tell an increase in volume after the dive. Also, during my dives I have not noticed the high pitched humming...that I hear now. My son...being concerned for his dad came across some articles that suggest some people notice that the noise goes away after 7 meters. I dont know if it is my focus on what I am doing...the background noise, or something else...but I dont notice the noise while diving.

As someone that has tinnitus the best thing I can do is not think about it...the more I think about it the louder it gets. I use relaxation techniques and distraction to escape the noise.

7 meters down ? I think about this too much thats about the same for me????
could be (oxygen ,no'2, pressure,surrounding,sight,water in the ears filtering aquatic sound, )its got to be somthing to help science find a cure.

Ive had it about 12 years. Most times I am unaware of. I hear the river rushing now once I saw this thread.

I'll try to pay attention next dive to see if I notice any difference.

Mine came presumably form using fire arms without ear protection and working around heavy equipment.

I have it, but mine comes a goes now. What I've found over the years that seems to make it better for me is to avoid diet sodas or anything with aspertame and stay well hydrated. I thought for some time that it might actually be soda that was causing it, but I quit for three months and no change. More recently, I tried to drop a few pounds by switching to diet soda and my ear began ringing the very next day. I Googled it and found a webpage where this doctor's theory mentioned diet sodas and aspertame as a possible cause.

The sound probably goes away during diving because of the water pressure on the ear drum, nothing to do with Nitrox.

Many types of it ,I hate the one I have caused by a hit to the head it subjective Tinnitus the ring is not in the ears I hear it in the center of my head!!!!

I did not know that. I have it in both ears and so by default it is in the center of my head. Started in Baghdad one day so I reckon mine is noise related or maybe I got my head rattled a bit or it, who know. I just know it is there, loud and anoying as heck. Keeps me awake somenights, the trick is to be exhausted like after a long 70 minute dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom