Any Divers with Tinnitus??(ringing in the ears)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F-sharp.

I've had it since I played in a Jazz band in the late 1980's. I don't think it's diving related but I'm pretty sure diving doesn't make it better.

R..

If y'all would quit mentioning it, I wouldn't think about it, and I wouldn't hear the ringing in my ears. :wink:

What everyone else is saying...

Except that I like the quiet. I don't like background noise for the sake of noise, as I like to stay tuned to my environment. I am going to try to pay attention the next time I dive to see if mine goes away.

Before I got married (my third, but who's counting?), I loved to set up five CD's in my player, put it on random, and then go to bed. If I wanted to listen to the music, I'd lay on my right side, and let the music mask the ringing; when I was ready to go to sleep, I'd roll over onto my left, and let the tinnitus be an in-grown white noise machine.

We learn to accommodate, notwithstanding the fact that the base cause really sucks.

HI I have tinnitus since many years and never bothered about it but just recently after many dives in egypt after recovering from a cold I notices the sound had consistently increased, check with ENT and did full hearing tests my left ear (which suffers a 1/2 level barotrauma) is just slightly less receptive as my right one but no major problem, still feel is not compensating straightforward but was able to dive with no problem. just wanted to know if you think continuing diving will make my tinnitus become worst...:(

Hi DamaRampante - I've got pretty significant tinnitus in both ears (two different pitches, it's pretty maddening sometimes) and suffered two known barotrauma (most recently this past December). I've been diving since 2012 and it has not made my tinnitus worse. I was pretty concerned that it would, as I have a lot of issues with pressure and pain in my ears, even with a lot of equalizing and terribly slow descents/ascents - but so far, no change to my tinnitus.

One of my co-workers has some pretty severe tinnitus. Too much playing loud guitar in the 80's. He recently got hearing aids and he says they've pretty much eliminated it. Hearing Aids

The underwater world always seems extremely loud to me. There's pops, clicks, all kinds of constant noise. Perhaps that's why the sensation disappears when you're diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom