Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the main problem with the twist lights is that they require two hands operation while you could turn the button light on with only one hand.

I can, and do, twist my dive lights on and off with one hand.

Since the introduction of silicone products many years ago I have determined that silicone is either a very slippery glue or a very sticky lubricant.

I have tried food-grade silicone grease on the O-rings on my screw-on flashlights and after a couple of days they get stuck. I have tried spray silicon being careful to let the propellants evaporate before screwing it back together so I don't accidentally bond the pieces of plastic together. More recently I tried WD-40 sprayed on a Q-Tip and then applied to the O-rings. I figure the WD-40 will probably greatly reduce the life-span of the O-rings. The Wd-40 seems to be less stuck, at least so far.

Since the introduction of silicone products many years ago I have determined that silicone is either a very slippery glue or a very sticky lubricant.

I have tried food-grade silicone grease on the O-rings on my screw-on flashlights and after a couple of days they get stuck. I have tried spray silicon being careful to let the propellants evaporate before screwing it back together so I don't accidentally bond the pieces of plastic together. More recently I tried WD-40 sprayed on a Q-Tip and then applied to the O-rings. I figure the WD-40 will probably greatly reduce the life-span of the O-rings. The Wd-40 seems to be less stuck, at least so far.
I use the little containers that they sell for scuba Silicone Lube Grease 1/4 oz Can Food Grade Dive Regulator O-Ring Scuba LP21 618152001389 | eBay or Molykote 111 if I am at my bench. Neither gums up, ever.

"did" + typo = "gid"

Haha very nice thread
I bought 2 eazy cut trilobite cutting tools, one with porcelain blades the other with metal blades
They are both very good, metal cuts better, porcelain won't get rusty and passes metal detector. I don't even know if I will every use one, I don't really believe I need 2 of them
In general, I think the main risk is some kind of compulsive shopping behaviour. If you make rational and useful purchases you tend to buy useful things. Then sometimes you find a no purpose gadget and you buy it anyway

Aeros Epic dive computer...179 pages of fine print in the manual to operate what had to be the most confusing thing I have owned. Replaced it with an Atomic Colbalt which to this day is the easiest computer I have owned. Now I dive with either a Shearwater Petral or Perdix...just about as easy as the Cobalt but matches my diving style now a days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom