Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaskin is the cheapest and ive heard good things. Ive been very impressed with pinnacles new tahoe drysuit. Good price for a great suit!

Buying some, but not all, rec gear. If you're serious about diving, get all tech gear, even if you dive single tank. You can use tech gear in rec dives but not vice versa.

I
I once bought a neoprene drysuit, i made 10 dives with it and then bought a trilaminate.
I bought TLS350 (custom cut by Bob Stinton, who designed the suit for DUI, did not fit well). I dove it for a few years before i got an off the rack crushed neoprene suit. Lighter undergarment and less air in the suit yet much warmer - and tougher fabric so I am no longer chasing pinhole leaks every other dive.

To each their own...

Early on I bought an OLD second hand Mares BCD. It was huge and bulky and provided something ridiculous like 5lbs of buoyancy and 80lbs of lift. It was cheap though.

Long story short I spent a lot of time bumping into things and thinking I was bad at buoyancy control. Nope I just had a BC that could raise the titanic.

Within 2 seasons I received some “bad” news that it couldn’t be serviced any more bc nobody had the parts. So I got a BPW. After a couple dives I was suddenly MUCH better at buoyancy control.

I still have that old BC sitting in my garage as a reminder to not waste money on things like that

When I first started diving, in 2008, I bought used recreational regs and a new poodle jacket from my LDS. It was a bunch of junk.
10 dives later, ditched it all, bought doubles, BPW, etc and never looked back. Now, I mostly dive sidemount.

What’s a poodle jacket? Why are rec regs inferior? Do they not deliver air well at depth?

What’s a poodle jacket? Why are rec regs inferior? Do they not deliver air well at depth?
Poodle jacket is a jacket style BC, the term is used by BP/W fans.
Most rec regs are fine at depth, maybe his were junk because they were used and abused?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom