Question Any Experience With Nanight Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebaycurrency

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen a ton of info on these lights, and I've heard mixed reviews about Nanight, anybody want to add any topical experience about them?

I haven't seen a ton of info on these lights, and I've heard mixed reviews about Nanight, anybody want to add any topical experience about them?
I have a Nanight C3 that I've used as my everyday light, cold water diving, both day and night. I've had it for the past 3-4 years.

It's powerful enough, the battery lasts through multiple dives (a few hours burn time on default setting of 3/4, about 1-2klm by my eye). The head is quite large, but it's not any problem in practice.

It has a narrow spot (5°), but I have one buddy that was complaining about the wide spill and how it might not be a perfect light in a cave. Works well enough for signalling in murky open water.

I have both the Nanight carbon fiber handle and the aluminum handle and the aluminum one is better, the carbon one digs into the hand and is quite uncomfortable. Even the aluminum handle is not ideal, the size adjustment is quite clunky compared to, say, Halcyon Goodman handle.

Overall quite happy with it, I'm not considering upgrading at this point. I got mine for slightly under 400eur second hand.

The canister developed a problem at some point where the charging port was leaking current when disconnected, which lead to slow corrosion in fresh water and then corroded rapidly during a short trip to Mediterranean; I bought a replacement charging port from Nanight, got an upgraded charging electronics for free included in the package and a manual on how to replace parts within the canister. It's been without any problems since then. Overall happy with the customer service and support.

I have the Nanight Tech 2, had it for about a year now and used it as primary for most of that time. It's a fine light, mostly, with a couple of niggles:

1. I would like a slightly narrower spot. I think the Tech 2 is officially 10 degrees.
  2. The cable is thin and quite flimsy while being neutral in the water. I'm not worried about it from a quality perspective, but it has a tendency to get Everywhere much like a piece of string, and I find myself capturing it in bolt snaps and whatnot with some frequency. (This could certainly be a technique issue as well.)
I added the extra size toggle to the light head, which made it nicer to operate with thick dry gloves. The light head is light-weight and the toggle has a positive feel, all good there for me.

I agree completely with @Sebek above about the goodman handles; skip the carbon fiber one.

I have a Tech2 and a Sport which I bought together about 6 years ago. I haven't used the Sport that much, but the Tech2 has had plenty of use and I quite like it. Three years ago I noticed on their website that they had an upgraded charge port. They were really easy to deal with, and when I bought the upgrade sent everything I needed (circuit, components, a firmware programmer) and step-by-step instructions for me to upgrade the hardware and the electronics for the new charge circuit.

Being able to charge these lights without ever having to open the light head or canister is great.

As @Sebek mentioned, the C3 (cave) head is a narrower beam than the Tech2/Sport heads. The Tech2/Sport heads have a changeable lens to adjust the beam I have the narrower of the two in my Tech2 head and the wider in the Sport. It's not the tightest beam, but its definitely tight and bright enough to signal effectively.

Overall pretty happy with the company and their product.

Had tech 2 for more than two years. It's a good light and what I really liked was the external charging port, never had to worry about o-rings. Reason I sold it was because switching to bigger battery that can also be used for heating. I had sidemount version with 135cm cord. Aluminum goodman handle was good, it was easy to fold over the lens for protection when out of the water.

I have the Nanight C3 for over 3 years now. Use it for cave, wreck and open water. I love it. The spot is narrow enough for proper signalling in a cave. It has quite some spill but that doesnt bother me at all.If i turn the light to full it lights up the cave beautifully.

I had an issue with the light head flooding last year. I sent the head back to Sweden and they replaced the head under warranty. Had it back within 2 weeks.

The only thing i don't really like is the carbon handle. As others here have said. It's a bit sharp and flimsy. But it does the job.

Overall it's a great light and the small canister has enough power for several dives.

I've had my Tech 2 for almost 4 years. The removeable/changeable lens feature is great. I primarily use it as a wide angle video light.

Back
Top Bottom