Any experience with nite-diver lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saw these guys advertised on the sidebar of scubaboard - http://www.nite-diver.com/products.html does anyone have comments on their products? The canister looked a little bulky to me, but the prices were not bad, especially for 18w HID.

I once had a 10w Halogen light from them. It was the one that fit on a strap on a headband. It used "D" size batteries in the canister and the light head was attached with a somewhat stiff connector cord. I found the overall quality of the light was good for the cost...and had a divebuddy not introduced me to HID...I would still be diving that light.

The price on these look good,however from the pics the lighthead looks a little bulky. I like the idea of not having to remove the battery to re-charge but would want to see how that works and to be sure that the connection is not a point of water entry.

I dive a Dive Rite wreck series 10w HID with a lead-acid battery. Paid about 450.00 at LDS. I think for me this is the best light...however...the price of the Nite Rider 18w is DEFINITELY worth a look.

Why would you buy a light that still uses lead acids??? Very old technology, NiMH is the way to go........

older, but much cheaper to have several batteries, plus their life-span can exceed that of NiMh, and as far as I know there is no "explosive" reaction between lead-acid and saltwater like you can get with NiMh.

Still if the extra $100-$200 for NiMh is not a problem it sure would be nice to have a smaller canister (I asked them about that and am waiting for a reply)

Hey Up4air I think you may be confusing Night Rider lights with Night Diver - Night rider still makes the headband style - but this company looks more like a "garage" type of operation. I appreciate the comments though - and yeah that 18watt was the nice looking deal. I kinda like the DiveRite Slimline canister 10w (I wish they made an 18w) I found one for $631 which seems like a pretty good deal (If I had that much just "laying" around - lol).

You are right...I did confuse the two....I should read the thread a little closer...apologies. None the less I stand by my lead acid battery..for cost and for use. They are cheaper to replace and for my type of diving just as efficient.

No problem Up4Air - I've done the same

btw - here's the reply from Nite-Diver about battery/canister size

" Thanks for contacting nite-diver.com for your lighting need's. The Mod. 6000 Solar Flare 18 watt canister measures 6 1/4inches long and 4 inches in dia. which gives you a 3 hour burn time 18 watt at full brightness before starting to dim. The NiMh battery pack would be 4 D cell's stacked together,3 times. The canister would only be 1/4inch smaller in dia. and 8 inches in length. You can see the size by placing 4 D cell batteries in a square. We keep a wall thickness of 1/4 on our canister. Our design permits
the longest burn time and smallest canister."

Back
Top Bottom