Any info on Kona Aggressor? Is our trip about to get cancelled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

My husband and I are scheduled on the Kona Aggressor for September this year. My husband got a cryptic voicemail yesterday about them needing to update us about the situation on the boat. I tried to call them back this am but apparently the person who left the message is out for the 4th and the staff who answered the phone would not give me any information.

We've already booked a week's worth of land-based activities in Hawaii for before our boat's departure, and I'm super not looking forward to a long weekend of wondering if I have to re-book my vacation.

Has anyone gotten a similar call? Know anything about what's up? Thanks in advance!

CEO Wayne Brown announced today that after extensive topside remodeling on the Kona Aggressor II, the remaining work was to be done in a shipyard to complete any hull repairs before putting the yacht back into service. Last week the yacht traveled to a shipyard in Honolulu which is where it is now. The aluminum inspection revealed the repairs would require removing the entire superstructure to repair the pontoons at an estimated cost in excess of $500,000. Due to the excessive costs to repair the vessel to our safety standards, the Kona Aggressor II yacht owner has made the decision to cease operations in Kona, Hawaii effective today. We will miss having the Kona Aggressor II as part of our fleet after 33 years.

CEO Wayne Brown announced today that after extensive topside remodeling on the Kona Aggressor II, the remaining work was to be done in a shipyard to complete any hull repairs before putting the yacht back into service. Last week the yacht traveled to a shipyard in Honolulu which is where it is now. The aluminum inspection revealed the repairs would require removing the entire superstructure to repair the pontoons at an estimated cost in excess of $500,000. Due to the excessive costs to repair the vessel to our safety standards, the Kona Aggressor II yacht owner has made the decision to cease operations in Kona, Hawaii effective today. We will miss having the Kona Aggressor II as part of our fleet after 33 years.
I am sad to hear about this. I hope someone else can start a liveaboard in Hawaii.

Just saw the email. She was one of my favorite trips to date. Always sad to see a part of the diving community end.

I'd say the likelyhood of a new liveaboard in Hawaii is small, at least over 6 passengers, as it would have to be an inspected vessel. Since the Conception fire the USCG is on high alert (I'm pretty sure they are getting their asses handed to them for passing the Conception on inspections for years). Add that to the fact that any inspected vessel in Hawaii has to be produced in the US (by law) so the costs of production for a new vessel is likely not go to pencil out financially. On the flip side of this if you only take 6 paying passenger someone with a OUPV(six pax) license could get any boat they want and start running charters. In this case USCG inspection and rules about where the boat was built would not apply. Whether or not they could make that work financially with only six paying customers is an open question. But I'm sure someone will think of trying. There is certainly a market for it.

Maybe one of the existing US based liveaboards will come fill the hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom