Any info on Portage Quarry this past weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PORTAGE -- A Heath woman remains in a critical care unit after a diving accident at a northwest Ohio quarry Saturday afternoon.

Tracy K. Warner, 38, of Heath, was scuba diving with others at Portage Quarry when she apparently ran out of air at about 4:45 p.m. Saturday, said Detective Sgt. Terry James of the Wood County Sheriff's Office.

"One of the other drivers had to bring her to the surface," James said.

Warner was taken to Wood County Hospital by the Bowling Green Fire Department, then taken by emergency helicopter to St. Luke's Hospital in Maumee, James said.

Portage Quarry workers had no comment about the accident, which is being investigated by the sheriff's office.

WARNER Tracy K. Warner, 38, died Friday, June 25, 2010. Born October 4, 1971. Survived by daughter, Kayley; mother, Brenda; father, Doug; brother, Jessey; fiance, Brian Heimerl: aunts and uncles. Service Saturday, July 3, 3 p.m., 13772 Flint Ridge Rd., Heath.
Published in The Columbus Dispatch on June 30, 2010

Jesus, heading up there in two weeks for the BBQ and finish checkouts for two OW students. How did this happen? I'd like to know the training level of the diver and more details. Portage is easy diving.

Yeah, I would like some more information too. I was planning on heading there this season still.

Wow. Condolences to the family but Portage is just not a place for accidents. I know they can happen anywhere but the depths, temps and distance to the shore would make it easy to surface when low on air and swim back.
Paula

Well, I am related to Tracy & would like everyone to know what a tragedy this is... She is one of the sweetest people this world could have... From my understanding, she ran out of air & came up to the surface but had too many weights on her so ended up going down to the bottom & her boyfriend didn't know what to do... I know that she was certified a few years ago & don't believe she had gone scuba diving very often... She was only 90 pounds so i'm sure it wouldn't take too many weights to keep her under... Another diver dropped her weights & brought her back up to the surface but it was too late because she was without oxygen for too long at that point... The world lost such an angel & she left behind a teenage daughter.... May she rest in peace.... We all love you Tracy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom