Any new info on the Canadian Border opening????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is directed to our neighbors in Canada, I am getting conflicting info and figure I would ask those living there! What are your current feeling and or inputs for an opening date? Thanks!!
Conflicting info being, our NY politicians, pushing their agendas!

I have a good friend in Toronto and his view is their government is Bat %^$# Crazy, so I wouldn't count on it any time soon. They're fining people who are caught violating the curfews in place in some of the provinces.

Insane. I am sure some real Canadian's will pop in shortly.

No time soon.

The border is officially "closed" until at least June 21
US-Canada Border Closure Extended at Least Another Month

Ontario does not yet allow restaurant dining, takeout only. Limited patio seating is set to open June 13 and limited indoor dining may start 42 days later.

Golf, tennis, other outdoor sports to open across Ontario as part of 3-step reopening plan | CBC News

The border is "open enough" for food to get through (in both directions) and lumber to head south so no need to rush things. I would guess Jan 2022?

There is mounting pressure from our side. Our politicians are wishy washy. We have no idea. I think we are headed the way of vaccine passports. We are supposed to have “an announcement “ on Tuesday about our “circuit breaker “ restrictions. (I’m not allowed to leave Fraser/Vancouver Coastal Heath region. - non essential travel. But you can fly in from anywhere but India… And it’s been hinted details of travel outside of Canada may be coming. In BC everything hinges on the long weekend numbers tomorrow. Can we eat inside restaurants with reduced capacity? Ohhhh so exciting reduced indoor dining so bored…..

You really have two questions… what does our federal government allow you/us to do? And what is the province/area you want to visit allow you to do. The joke is - 20 people can go to church and if someone dies only 10 can go to the funeral and if you go outside only 5 can gather. We have weird rules going on. Our Canada wide second vaccination count is too low. Until that rises I don’t see our freedoms returning.

the border has never been closed. that was the gov biggest mistake. but i am not gonna go there.

air travel is still allowed.

the land border was closed for essential traffic, and there were other exemptions allowed.

"officially", as stated above, the land border will be closed until at least june 21.

i have very strong feelings about how all this was handled up until now, but at this point, with all the new evidence about vaxed people not contributing to spread, i do not see any reason why the land border should not be reopened to people who have been vaccinated.

where i live we have many businesses that rely on u.s. tourists that come up for hunting and fishing. last year was devestating for them and this year is starting off just as bad.

Our vaccine access and roll out has been a complete gong show, as have the restrictions for travel from hot spots (China, India etc) into Canada and travel restrictions between provinces. I haven't heard anything definitive and our federal government won't even commit on a benchmark for Canadians to move freely within our country or lifting mask and group size restrictions. I'm hoping this summer (July/August) as I would like to dive in Nova Scotia and Maine this year.

As stated above, the border will be closed to all but essential traffic until at least 21 June. After that, it is, as they say a "crap shoot". It appears as though the determining factor may be vaccination, ie. those that are fully vaccinated may get to cross. No idea on timings for the border, but but in general, Canada is taking a "First vaccination first" policy in which the goal is to get as many people as possible their first vaccination with up to a four month (as opposed to a four week as recommended by the manufacturer) delay before the second shot. The target is to have people get their second shots by late summer/September time frame.

I for one have something important for which I want to be able to cross the border by early September. The Eastern Air Defense Sector is hosting a 20th Anniversary reunion for all those who were at the unit on 9/11 2001. Many of us still bear scars from that day which can not be seen and there is the hope that getting together again will help many of us heal and might even bring a degree of closure for some.

you would be surprised how many people vote for him based on stupid stuff like that, with no regard or time spent researching his plan/policies. It's absurd. Politics in Canada is a mess, and it seems more and more people are waking up to this fact. Corruption is rampant, and goes unpunished.

You sound very much like my good friend in Toronto. He owns a business and he complains constantly about not being able to find people who actually want to work. According to him with free healthcare, drugs and hand-outs Toronto-vites just sit stoned in the basement, collecting their government cheese. (His words, not mine)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom