Any one tried divecomputer.eu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computer arrived today.

1hys7m.jpg

28kpr2d.jpg

9lbz8p.jpg

fnteg2.jpg

p7us7.jpg

2095bn6.jpg

2mwxrua.jpg

lehy0.jpg

2irlv0j.jpg

161zyhg.jpg

2qksbb6.jpg

fp8ks8.jpg

My first goal will be running a marathon (42k) (8th april). I also have to replace my seals of my drysuit. I'm not sure when I will use it underwater. But in may I will do tech diving in Croatia. I guess it will be tested enough next months.

DOH! The first picture I believed I was looking to a Shearwater... ahah. Wth they cloned the case!

DOH! The first picture I believed I was looking to a Shearwater... ahah. Wth they cloned the case!

Copied color, case even the carabineer! No original thought there.

I do like the front-mounted buttons. I do not like the buttons being on the side of my Perdix. They get pressed by accident too easily. I personally know at least two people that told me they had accidental gas switches done on their Shearwater during a dive. One person told me immediately after we had gotten out of the water from a dive that it had just happened to him. IIRC, I posted that before and at least one other SB'er posted that the same thing had happened to them as well.

"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

R
ealistically there aren't too many ways to fit an AA battery and a 4:3 display in wrist-mountable case that'd be easy to pressure-proof and manufacture.

Copied color, case even the carabineer! No original thought there.
I'm guessing a possibility is that they go to teh same case supplier as shearwater. Given the low volumes it's very unlikely they'll produce their own case.

I think it's the same case supplier yes, there's no way they could have designed intentionally the same case, it would have played against them (but the carbiner???). Anyway I didn't wanted to criticize.. I don't care at all about the case as along the computer works good. I like the keys disposal, is much more convenient when you wear the computer on the arm.

No AI means I wouldn't even consider it.

AI that does not work with the (now) ubiquitous PPS transmitter also means I wouldn't even consider it.

If it had AI that worked with a PPS transmitter, then I would consider it, but it would have to either be a fair chunk less money than a Perdix AI, or it would have to have some amazing feature that I haven't thought/heard of.

But, that is just me...
I NEED to tease both you, and @scubadada

OSTC have just announced the launch of the OSTC 2 TR Their sport/tech model now has AI and can receive and display (all at once) upto 5 transmitters

Although their price is listed at $1294 if you remove the 19% sales tax its closer to $1087 inc a transmitter (I converted the Euro prices to Dollars) Not sure what teh current US price of a Perdix & transmitter is in the US

I've been looking at the OSTC 4 for a while, but now I may need to reconsider.

I say tease because you can't have one as they don't export to the US :rofl3:

I'll be in Frankfurt in a couple of weeks so going to try to get my paws on one to look at, and if I can escape the sales tax because I'm exporting it to the UAE may well hand over my card...

OSTC have just announced the launch of the OSTC 2 TR

For half of that price maybe (that is the politic of divecomputer.eu) ...otherwise every single diver and their dogs will go for a Shearwater. There's not a single reason of why I would spend 1000 bucks on something that isn't a Perdix AI, or maybe I will pay for it in 5 years when someone else will show with fact that offers more, it's more reliable and it's better overall, until then my option are essentially two: I buy a Shearwater; or I buy something else for half the price or less.

Ha! Can you see my middle finger from that far away? ;-) LOL

That does look pretty cool. But, the Tech version (which is what I would require) works out to USD$1215.

I only paid USD$915 for my Perdix AI with transmitter - which I purchased new in the box through the SB Classifieds. Even at normal price, the same combo is $1175 from DGX.

I was much more interested in OSTC when I thought they had Open Source firmware. Since I found out they aren't doing that any more, I'm really not interested on HW computers.

At roughly the same price, I would much rather have the Perdix AI, just because it uses the PPS transmitter. Both because the PPS transmitters are fairly ubiquitous and because they are time-tested and I have very high confidence in their reliability.

At this point, the only really computer lust that I have is for a Garmin Descent that works with a PPS transmitter.

I think ScubaPro may actually eventually release a version of the SeaBear, but at this point I'm pretty confident that it will either not have AI or only work with SP transmitters. Either way, I won't want one.

So, unless Garmin adds PPS support to the Descent, I'll probably be buying another Perdix AI at some point.

Or maybe I'll get lucky and Shearwater will come out with a new model this year that is either wristwatch-sized or gets a big screen like the OSTC 4. And still does AI, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom