Any other visually impaired divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doll_fin,

You might check out Diveheart. Jim Elliott started this wonderful organization being inspired by his visually impaired daughter. The DiveHeart Foundation - Home

My ailment is a bit different, but I had forgotten that other divers might suffer from vision problems of some sort as well!

As some have determined from my name, I have the use of only one eye. The other one ain't nothing special either. It happened in the service a while back, but since then I had been hearing the "No you can't" crowd for far too long. Finally grew enough within myself to ignore them and give diving, a lifelong dream, a shot. Went and got certified last summer, and no looking back!

I may see only half of what ya'll see underwater...but it's beautiful to finally get to be experience it!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner!!

Parysa; No, that's not my particular problem, but if the visual acuity is similar, tell him that the only thing stopping him from diving is self doubt and if he wants to try it, go for it. If he has problems with migraines and hasn't tried it already, I would suggest acupuncture. I've never had problems with them myself, but have known people who have and SWEAR by acupuncture.

MntDiver; Thanks, I will look into that!! I contacted one group that was for handicapped divers of all sorts - was told a few times that someone would be getting in touch with me to give me more information but I never heard from anyone, even after sending numerous emails.

Cyclops Diver; We may only be able to see half as much, but we appreciate what we do see twice as much! :)

One thing I would say to ANYONE who has any sort of special considerations; Don't ever be afraid to go after your dreams and don't let ANYONE tell you you can't do something just because you are "different. At the same time, when you do go after them, do not be afraid to tell someone if you are having a problem and need help! Especially for something like diving, as important as it is to not let self-doubt stop you, it is equally important to not let pride stop you from saying "I need help" "I can't see that" or whatever you need. Being too proud or embarrassed to admit you need help could prove a fatal mistake when you're 60' under water. Common sense should be the #1 tool in anyone's survival kit. :)

A friend of mine who dives also is legally blind and never let his challenge in life stop him. He mountain bikes, snow skies, and anything else he wants to take on.

A friend of mine who dives also is legally blind and never let his challenge in life stop him. He mountain bikes, snow skies, and anything else he wants to take on.

I grew up in So Cal. I wonder if your friend is anyone I ever knew, as I was involved with frecreational programs for the visually impaired as a kid (unfortunately, scuba diving was never a aprt of those programs back then)

One thing I would say to ANYONE who has any sort of special considerations; Don't ever be afraid to go after your dreams and don't let ANYONE tell you you can't do something just because you are "different. At the same time, when you do go after them, do not be afraid to tell someone if you are having a problem and need help! Especially for something like diving, as important as it is to not let self-doubt stop you, it is equally important to not let pride stop you from saying "I need help" "I can't see that" or whatever you need. Being too proud or embarrassed to admit you need help could prove a fatal mistake when you're 60' under water. Common sense should be the #1 tool in anyone's survival kit. :)
I think this is true for able-bodied divers as well. Water is an equalizer that reduces us all to the barest essentials of life. It's an odd juxtaposition of being so naked and vunerable and feeling so free and alive!

Back
Top Bottom