Any plans for a Perdix "lite" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So DEMA 2017 came and went. Does anyone know if Shearwater has any intention of developing a lighter version of the Perdix for recreational divers in the near future ?

It already have a "recreational" mode for recreational divers. You can buy it without the transmitter and with the transmitter. With the transmitter, it is still very competitive with other AI "recreational" computers out there.

So DEMA 2017 came and went. Does anyone know if Shearwater has any intention of developing a lighter version of the Perdix for recreational divers in the near future ?
Do you mean weight or features? I have the Perdix AI and in REC mode it isn't really any more complicated than my old Suunto Cobra after you set your "conservativeness" level... If you are referring to weight, it barely weighs anything.

I do like the fact that the information on the computer is clearly visible (one of the best, if I understand correctly), simplicity of the user interface, clarity of the operator manual, ease of change of batteries, use of a solid and well recognized algorithm, the choice of having AI if needed. OTOH, I don't see myself needing Trimix nor CCR in the short or medium term. I have no idea how much "less" that would be worth, though. Maybe it's "something good to have", even if I don't see it's use in the near future ?

I do like the fact that the information on the computer is clearly visible (one of the best, if I understand correctly), simplicity of the user interface, clarity of the operator manual, ease of change of batteries, use of a solid and well recognized algorithm, the choice of having AI if needed. OTOH, I don't see myself needing Trimix nor CCR in the short or medium term. I have no idea how much "less" that would be worth, though. Maybe it's "something good to have", even if I don't see it's use in the near future ?

removing that functionality would only be a software adjustment. The computer is capable of doing it all otherwise it would actually increase the costs by having extra sku's as well as removing the streamlined dealer network so cost/unit would go up. Add to that that the software programming costs would go up. If you notice, right now there are three computers that they offer. Petrel, Perdix, NERD. The user interface is the same for all of them. As a tech diver, I could say I'd like to pay less by not having rec-nitrox mode, but they didn't charge more for it because it was a quick software change. There's really no point in removing those features and then having people pay to upgrade because the cost are best divided across all of the products to give you the choices to use what you want.
The hardware development in these things is a huge part of the costs with prototypes, custom pcb's, machining, assembly etc. so having to duplicate that for a hardware savings wouldn't give you anything. If you want a cheap recreational computer with a pretty screen, buy a Cosmiq, but I just don't think there would be any savings associated with a tiered cost structure based on software features.

For reference, Shearwater did used to have this type of tiered features structure up until the Petrel was released and at that point they just opened it all up and I think it saved everyone a lot of headaches with upgrading software , Shearwater having to take money directly from consumers for the upgrades or dealers having to deal with the "upgrade codes" and all of that. More trouble than it is worth I suspect

You pretty much nailed it tbone1004.

Bruce

Thank you for the information. This will permit me to make an informed decision for my diving season 2018. :)

Roger,

Put on a predator...then you will see that the perdix IS the lighter version.

You pretty much nailed it tbone1004.

Bruce

glad to see I hit that one, though it helps being a manufacturing engineer so I get a lot of your constraints.

The big bummer for me right now is that I have an analog CCR and want to get a NERD but can't justify it since it can't be converted to DiveCAN since I intend to upgrade in the next 12 ish months.
Actually, while we have you here, can you shed light on why no one seems to be using the NERD for a controller? That one baffles me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom