Any private pilots out there with a plane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This probably isn't the most direct place to post this but I am running out of ideas... My wife and I are moving to Belize in April and are having a hard time finding a way to move our 80lb dog down. There are not any direct flights from Charlotte and airlines have a rule about a max temp of 85 degrees where you depart from, where you are headed or any stop along the way. We have no problem paying costs and are willing to drive to a more convenient location to the pilot. Texas, Florida etc. for a shorter flight would be fine with us. Currently planning on April 15 but are somewhat flexible on that as well. In the end, we are 650lbs including us, the dog and luggage. He wouldn't need to be crated unless the pilot requested, pretty mellow dog.

If you are or know of anyone that might be able to assist PLEASE let me know. The wife is starting to consider declaring herself crazy so he can ride in the plane as a service animal at this point. I'd prefer not to get a bunch of emails regarding how flying with a dog is bad or that my wife's idea is a horrible one.... :D

Feel free to private message me if you prefer. Thanks in advance! Ryan

"Wife declaring herself crazy" sounds viable.

There are some int'l animal rescue groups that transport animals all over the world. You may want to do a search and get in contact with them. They may know someone who can help you. Putting a dog into cargo is a stressful thing for them... Before you fly, try giving your dog some Rescue remedy.

This probably isn't the most direct place to post this but I am running out of ideas... My wife and I are moving to Belize in April and are having a hard time finding a way to move our 80lb dog down. There are not any direct flights from Charlotte and airlines have a rule about a max temp of 85 degrees where you depart from, where you are headed or any stop along the way. We have no problem paying costs and are willing to drive to a more convenient location to the pilot. Texas, Florida etc. for a shorter flight would be fine with us. Currently planning on April 15 but are somewhat flexible on that as well. In the end, we are 650lbs including us, the dog and luggage. He wouldn't need to be crated unless the pilot requested, pretty mellow dog.

If you are or know of anyone that might be able to assist PLEASE let me know. The wife is starting to consider declaring herself crazy so he can ride in the plane as a service animal at this point. I'd prefer not to get a bunch of emails regarding how flying with a dog is bad or that my wife's idea is a horrible one.... :D

Feel free to private message me if you prefer. Thanks in advance! Ryan
I have seen plenty of pets/large dogs boarded in Houston when the temperature is above 95 degrees. They just can't leave them on the tarmac.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 11:13 PM ----------

Weather Restrictions: All Boston Terriers, American Bulldogs, Pugs and mixes of these breeds will not be transported between May 15 and September 15. Travel between September 16 and May 14 are restricted to routes where the temperature will not exceed 85°F.

Is your dog one of these breeds?

I have tried to contact one already Divin' Dog, will try others. Zeagle, which airline was that from? American has the following on their website "Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary." For the record, he is a lab mix so whichever airline that was, might work.

I've often thought about how I'm going to bring my dog when I move down there.

Is driving there out of the question for you?

Ralph Capeling, ScubaBoard member and co-owner of Splash Dive Center, might have some ideas for you. I know he took at least one dog with him when he moved to Placencia from Canada. That dog has since passed on to doggie heaven, but he currently has two other dogs, Smith & Wesson, that he may have had shipped down as well.

If you scroll through the threads, you'll find one of his posts and you can PM that way if he doesn't chime in here.

Get a green vest for the dog, and call him and "emotional support" animal :D (I've seen this done with lots of small dogs). . .

American Airlines Service Animal Policies On AA.com No need to be crazy, just "nervous" (and a great excuse to purchase a 1st class ticket. Still less expensive than chartering a private plane)

I have tried to contact one already Divin' Dog, will try others. Zeagle, which airline was that from? American has the following on their website "Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary." For the record, he is a lab mix so whichever airline that was, might work.

I believe that was United. Last time I checked they go to Belize.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2014 at 05:55 PM ----------

Google" service patch for dogs". You will be amazed at what you find. You basically buy a vest put some patches on it and voila you are legal. To the best of my knowledge there are no legal restrictions. You can even buy holograph ID's. I have seen people do it all the time. As long as your dog behaves and can fit under the seat you are okay. No first class, no business class, no emergency exits. Most of all >>>>>>>>>>>>>>NO PO PO!!!!!!!!!!! That will get you thrown off for sure. They may even land short of the destination throw you and your dog off and then bill you for it. Did I mention no pooping.

I went on eBay and found 50 or more "service vests for dogs".

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

A charter flight could easily cost you 10 grand or more. Have you checked in to having someone drive your dog done?

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2014 at 06:00 PM ----------

Winter is almost on us. Temps are below 85 here in Houston.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2014 at 06:01 PM ----------

I know you said April; but, there must be a few cooler days in NC.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2014 at 06:02 PM ----------

Oh by the way. It would be illegal for a Private Pilot to fly your dog down, unless he did it for free. You would need to find a commercial pilot if you want to hire one.

Doran Yount is past chairman of the Placencia Humane Society. He may be able to help you. His email address is takunchances@yahoo.com. Notwithstanding Downing's comments, I found dogs in Belize rather than bring them here and in any event, Smith and Wesson are too mean to be Canadian dogs. Lots of people have brought dogs to Belize on commercial flights.
Regards
Ralph

Just a thought, but with respect to the idea of labeling your lab an Emotional Support dog, I suspect 80 lbs. is on the large side to be flying in the cabin with you. My understanding is that, unlike a Service Dog that the airlines are required by law to allow, it's up to the airline whether to allow Emotional Support dogs (or cats) and what criteria they apply in determining whether a passenger's dog qualifies. To qualify him as a Service Dog, the airline might ask for some kind of more authoritative evidence, like a letter from a doctor stating you have a disability and need the dog.

I'd say just drive down in your own vehicle.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2014 at 05:29 PM ----------

Strike that--I think I'm mistaken. Although an airline is likely to ask for documentation for an Emotional Support dog, I believe airlines ARE now required by law to accommodate them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom