Any reason not to get a AL30, compared with a AL19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So going solo and based on my SAC, I probably only ever going to need a AL19 for rec diving.

But looking at the sizing and weights, as listed on DGX site:

So I am curious as to what tank you chose? I sling a Catalina (NOT Luxfor) 30cu. The Catalina has better buoyancy characteristics. I chose the 30 as I want to do the deep speciality. The 40 is considerably longer than the 30, while the 30, is only slightly longer than a 19, in comparison, yet, considerably bigger in volume.

Aluminum 19
4.38 Diameter
17.3 Height
7.9 Weight

Aluminum 30
5.25 Diameter
19.5 Height
12.3 Weight

Pros:
AL30 is almost the same size
but gives me 50% more air.
Price is only $10 more BTW, not that this is a big factor.
AL30 can be used as a deco tank if I were to go tec, while AL19 can not.

Cons:
is 4.4 lbs heavier

I don't see any other benefits to go for AL19, unless for the extra 4.4 lbs, which I'm fine with.

Am I missing anything?

OK - wake the zombie and throw in a third variable (or 4th, depending on including a 13 in the discussion.)

Assuming all air travel (take out the 30 vs 40 variables). I like the thought of more air is betterer if you haves to ever use it. Any input on the HP steel 23s? Or should I throw in consideration of the steel 15 (actually 15.7 cu ft halfway between the 13 and 19 same ht as the 19, same diameter as the 23 and only 6.6 lbs weight for air travel.....)?

• 8.6# vs 7.9#
  • 19.5" vs 17.25" tall (same length as a 30 but would work in my carryon rollaboard bag that I can check...)
  • 3.94" vs 4.4" diameter
  • -2.64# vs -1.7# reported buoyancy full
  • 3442 psi vs 3000 psi
I figure carrying a 2# instead of a 4# weight on the side of carry w/ the steel vs a 3# for the AL19... Can you usually get 3442 fills at most Caribbean resorts or Florida where I'm likely to do most of my diving?

I'm still a few months out from doing solo cert, but, I'd kinda like to play around with config and the luxury of added redundancy... Even if I have to check a second bag.

AND I can get the steels in white to match the weight pockets on the Hydros-Pro! Oooo! Could put a white XL4+ on it too! :poke:

OMMOHY

Get the 23 fill it with 50% wear it like this and go diving

186 DSC06693.JPG

OK - wake the zombie and throw in a third variable (or 4th, depending on including a 13 in the discussion.)

Assuming all air travel (take out the 30 vs 40 variables). I like the thought of more air is bettered if you got to ever use it. Any input on the HP steel 23s? Or should I throw in consideration of the steel 15 (actually 15.7 cu ft halfway between the 13 and 19 same ht as the 19, same diameter as the 23 and only 6.6 lbs weight for air travel.....)?

• 8.6# vs 7.9#
  • 19.5" vs 17.25" tall (same length as a 30 but would work in my carryon rollaboard bag that I can check...)
  • 3.94" vs 4.4" diameter
  • -2.64# vs -1.7# reported buoyancy full
  • 3442 psi vs 3000 psi
I figure carrying a 2# instead of a 4# weight on the side of carry w/ the steel vs a 3# for the AL19... Can you usually get 3442 fills at most Caribbean resorts or Florida where I'm likely to do most of my diving?

I'm still a few months out from doing solo cert, but, I'd kinda like to play around with config and the luxury of added redundancy... Even if I have to check a second bag.

AND I can get the steels in white to match the weight pockets on the Hydros-Pro! Oooo! Could put a white XL4+ on it too! :poke:

OMMOHY
No problem at all.

Whether to do HP23 or HP15 should probably be dependent on how many air you'd need to get you out of an emergency situation for your usual dive profile.

I love my shorty Catalina AL19.
Spec is:
Aluminum 19 (Short)Catalina3000 psi~3L19.3 ft3Diameter 5.25Height 13.8Weight 9.2Buoyancy - 2.1 : - 0.7

(My AL19 choice is dependent on me diving NDL and safely ascend from 100~110ft I believe)
So I'm guessing 15 cuft might be cutting it a bit close if you dive 100~120 frequently. But again this is dependent on your BAC.

So since 19.5 or 17.25 isn't longer by much, if your luggage fits, I'd say go for HP23.

And 3000PSI fill for HP23 gets you 20cuft, which probably is survivable for regular recreational dives. :wink:

I would immediately rule out an AL19. The first Pony tank I bought was an AL30. I have used it several times to help other divers in distress. It either was barely enough air or not enough air.

The difference in size and weight between an AL30 and an AL40 is negligible. I would go for the AL40. More air, is more better, than less air. While at the moment you may have no intention of doing deeper dives beyond 100’ or getting into Tech, the AL30 rapidly becomes too small. One day you will sell your equipment and you will have a far easier time selling an AL40 than an AL30 and you will have greater resale value on the AL40.

Last week, I gave in and bought my first AL40. Don’t make the same mistake I did, the AL30 will see little if any use going forward.

So going solo and based on my SAC, I probably only ever going to need a AL19 for rec diving.

But looking at the sizing and weights, as listed on DGX site:

Aluminum 19
4.38 Diameter
17.3 Height
7.9 Weight

Aluminum 30
5.25 Diameter
19.5 Height
12.3 Weight
Have you thought about steel tanks?

I have an AL40 & a short fat AL30, & a tall skinny (older) AL30 & a tall skinny AL19 & an AL13 & an AL6. They are all good for different things.

I used the 30's a lot before I had big steel tanks for primaries. Back then, I would bring a 30 along with my 80 to stretch out my bottom time to match the guys I was diving with that had steel 100s. The 30 was the right tool for that job at that time. Now I have big steel tanks, so I don't do that anymore.

The size & weight difference between a 30 & a 19 is noticeable. If you need the extra 11cf, then you need a 30. If you don't need it, then the 19 is a better choice.

The tall skinny 30 seems a bit less unwieldy than the short fat one when front clipped, but the difference is not huge.

The 40 usually either gets used as a stage, or as a small primary for short dives or young divers. It's really a little much to carry as a pony. It's nice for a side mount. It's OK as a parallel back mount. For me it's not particularly viable for a front mount, although I have done it. If I were to buy new today for these purposes, I would probably get the steel 50 that is shown in post #86, but the 40 is not bad. For a short dive in heavy current, the small diameter of the 40 is a bonus. I notice the reduced drag. For beach entry dives with a long walk or a climb down a cliff before you get to the water, the reduced weight of the 40, compared to a full size primary tank, is a huge plus.

The 13 is a cute little pony for dives that aren't in the 3-digit depth range. It, & the 19, are both handy when rigged on a bail out belt, for quick dives to free a stuck anchor or check a crab trap, or something like that.

The AL6, I use for pressurizing regulators when I soak them in fresh water after a salt water dive. The 6 is not my first choice for a pony. I haven't carried a pony that small in more than 20 years. The 13 is my small pony.

I have two tall skinny AL30's. I may make them into a set of mini doubles if I find some free time. Those are handy for getting into tight spaces & they don't weigh much, so again, they are a good choice for when you need to carry your gear far before getting to the water. I would not go out & buy tanks to set up something like that, but since I have they laying around already, I might do that some day.

I normally carry a pony clipped on the front of my rig. A pony is an emergency back up. If I need to reach for it, I want the whole thing where I can see it & handle it easily. I also like having the ability to unclip it & hand the whole unit off to another person if they need it. If someone is tangled up in a net or something like that, you might need to be able to get around them to untangle them. That's not so easy when they are puffing on your octopus or your rigidly mounted pony. I like to consider these realities when selecting my gear.

Different conditions warrant different gear. What is best for you will depend on what you plant to do, where you plan to do it, & who you plan to do it with. There is no one-size-fits-all best.

Wearing a pony clipped off in front of you has some distinct advantages. A few important ones are that you can easily check for leaks, free flow and see a button gage. Also of considerable value is the ability to turn the valve on and off for each breath should you have a bad free flow, first stage problem, partially dislodged o ring, partially failed hose etc.

Handing off the bottle to a person with no air and trapped
In a net is mike Nelson sheeeet. Lol

Also, Who wants a negative steel pony hanging off their body? - not me.

I would immediately rule out an AL19. The first Pony tank I bought was an AL30.
Can't realistically fly with a 30. Steel 15 (a 13 if I couldn't get full 3442 fills) vs AL 19 vs Steel 23 (basically a longer narrower 19 if I can't get 3442 fills).

This is because doing solo cert/diving, need a second source and given that carrying own big bottle is going to be a no-go ....

Anticipate most all my diving will be in the Caribbean reached mainly via Continental Airlines (known to some as "Uni-Ted") or Southwest. Or if there absolutely, positively is no other choice, American. Only very rarely will I be dive traveling via Subaroo.

But since you won't be using your 30 anymore, it will need a new home to feel wanted and included. Tell me more about it. Is it housebroken?

OMMOHY

Back
Top Bottom