Any reports yet on the Ikelite AF 35?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got an AF35...bought it for my Sony DSC350 point and shoot. It takes great pictures. As with any lighting system you've got to get in the water and play with it a little to make sure you've got the exposure set right (on the stobe). It's got an automatic setting which works pretty well. What I do is adjust the intensity depending upon the distance of my subject; back it down to 3 for close up/macro work and bump it up to 8 or 9 for distance, say shooting a turtle swimming by or an eagle ray.

The only negative thing that I've noticed is that I have to turn the stobe off when snorkling on the surface because it will fire when the sunlight hits the slave unit. Not a big deal when diving but I also do a lot of freediving and snorkling. When I'm freediving it's not a big deal because it takes me a few seconds to get down anyway so the stobe has time to reset. When snorkling I just have to think about it and I keep the camera pointed below me in a manner that won't cause ambient sunlight to hit the slave. When moving from spot to spot I tend to turn it off and then I don't have to worry about it "strobing away".

Oh, somebody mentioned that it's rated for 300 feet. Although I've never been to 300 feet I routinely dive to 110 -120 feet. There are a lot of tech divers out there that routinely exceed recrational depths too...this is a good choice strobe for them because of it's depth rating.

Like I said, I love mine and won't trade it and I see no reason to upgrade.

I'm probably going to buy a DSLR later this year and will be buying an Ikelite stobe for it. Of course I'll get one that is compatible with my camera like a DS160

The AF-35 has an arm that is made up of many plastic ball joints that allow a great deal of flexibility. I am able to move my strobe in just about any angle I want. It will basically curve about 120 degrees in any direction I would say.

About the depth rating. Be sure to tighten the battery cover very tight. I had mine flood after about 20-30 dives with it. I am sure I just did not tighten the screw enough. My local dive shop sent it back to Ikelite and they repaired it free of charge. I now crank down pretty hard on the screw.

Love my AF-35 and I highly recommend it for amateur photographers like me who don't want to spend $3,000 on a camera outfit. I'm seriously considering the new video light from Ikelite because I think I can take pretty good pictures in many cases with a static light rather than a strobe flash.

Does anyone know if the AF35 is a true TTL design like the S&S YS-01 or Inon S-2000? Or does it just use the sensor on the handle to do the light measurement?

Wow! Your question blows me away. All I know is that I never use the automatic flash setting on my AF35. I manually adjust flash using trial and error. I have found that the AF35 typically washes out images with light if I don't tune it manually.

Having said that, I take some pretty good pictures after about 3 or 4 iterations of light adjustment.

Does anyone know if the AF35 is a true TTL design like the S&S YS-01 or Inon S-2000? Or does it just use the sensor on the handle to do the light measurement?
Any TTL-like capability comes from the sensor and the strobe, it's not wired to the camera. It has +/- settings to adjust how it's doing, either in manual or TTL mode. Having said that, I haven't used it myself.

Last edited:
Any TTL-like capability comes from the sensor and the strobe, it's not wired to the camera. It has +/- settings to adjust how it's doing, either in manual or TTL mode. Having said that, I haven't used it myself.

So its TTL-like, which makes no sense, given TTL is through the camera's lens. This makes it similar to much of those strobes in the $300+ range, as opposed to the $400 strobe heads.

I think it does work through the lens, in a way, but it doesn't take a strobe command directly from the camera, like a wired TTL strobe. The strobe must pre-flash when the sensor sees the camera pre-flash, so the camera 'sees' the effect of both its own light and the light from the strobe during the pre-flash evaluation that it uses to set its exposure flash duration. Then when the exposure flash happens, the strobe sensor watches that and quenches when the camera flash quenches. Thus a TTL-like result.

This approach is used by the external Weikamp TTL adapters that have been around for years, from what I understand. When I contacted Weikamp a few years ago, this is how they explained the TTL capability of their setup.

That's how the other leading makers' optical TTL works. Why are some of those considered future proof when you upgrade your camera to something like DSLR while this is not. As long as the DSLR could pop its flash head up, it could still work as a TTL, albeit a very weak one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom