Any suggestions for inexpensive arms for dive video lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to get a pair of the Archon D11V-II lights from HKequipment and I am looking for some way to mount them to my gopro tray. I was looking at using the 1" balls/clamps like a RAM mount but they don't seem very flexible/easy to adjust on the fly (for these small lights).

Is there a DIY or cheap "kit" to allow me to build something like the SRP 24mm light mount? I was looking and the 1/2" loc line can be had for less than $1 each ($9 for a dozen) from aquarium stores. Where can I get cheap 1/4-20 threaded loc line compatible base mounts for the ends and a way to hold the 1" tube on the light? I read something about using small piece of cut PVC pipe to make a "clip" that holds the light but still need a way to attach it to the loc line.

Is the 1/2" loc line OK for this purpose or would 3/4" be better?

Last edited:
You can also buy loc-line on both Amazon and eBay. I have read some of the eBay product from overseas is slightly different though so buy all the pieces from the same supplier if you do that.

To mount it to your tray - in 3/4 they sell these - just bolt them to your tray with a non-rusting screw

https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-Coo...UTF8&qid=1522042765&sr=8-24&keywords=loc-line

Also buy the pliers - the 3/4 is hard to snap together.
https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-780...UTF8&qid=1522043270&sr=8-19&keywords=loc-line

If the 1/2" isn't stiff enough go to Home Depot and buy some thick wall vinyl tubing and insert it inside your arms.One of the arm mfr's also uses a shrinkfit rubber tubing over the locline for rigidity and to make sort of a grab handle.

Someone sells a loc-line adapter for the other end similar to what you described - it's a 1/2 circle with 2 cable ties - the other end is locline.Check some of the big dealers websites like Mozaik or Reef Photo - I think they sell the line.

or would this work?
Ikelite Gamma Flex Arm Mount

Last edited:
Yes, that is about what I am looking for, but $20 each is completely ridiculous. Similar parts (without the loc line ball) can be had off ebay shipped from China for under $2.

I sourced a set of the SRP 1/2" loc line arms with end mounts and screws for $19 shipped. I think I am going to get a cheap set of tall aluminum 1" scope rings (ebay about $6) machine off the picatinny rail clamp, drill and tap for 1/4-20 and I have a light mount for the end of the arms. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom