Any Thailand recommends please ... ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do know people who have left Egypt because of political issues rather than because there's no work for them. But that's irrelevant to the OP since he's not the one hearing friends tell their stories--it would make a difference to me since I am getting this input from a few of my friends. Travelers themselves will be able to assess how comfortable they feel about any destination, and just as some divers coming to Thailand a few years ago came anyway despite the travel warnings, others cancelled. I've just had a customer cancel a Sipadan trip because of the recent trouble on Borneo. Her choice not mine--it's not my place to tell anyone they are wrong to be uncomfortable in a situation I'd be okay with.

It's not only the basic flight time to consider, From London you can get direct charter flights straight to the Red sea dive resorts in around 5 hours (Malta around 90 minutes), After the additional 7 hours flight, with quite often a connection thrown in, once arriving in Bangkok there is still significant distances to travel to get to the best of the diving. Personally, I would not want to spend a total travel time of possibly 24 hours each way for a 5 day trip, in my mind neither practical nor enjoyable.
The protest that closed the airport in Bangkok November / December 2008 was on the whole a peaceful protest, and virtually all cancellations of trips were due to flights being cancelled because the airport was closed, rather than personal cancellations based on safety issues, decisions that were beyond the control of the tourists affected.
The unrest to which I was referring, was the Violence that lasted several weeks on the streets of Bangkok during April / May 2010 which resulted in a number of deaths, many people injured, and a great deal of destruction to parts of the city. Whilst not unrelated two very different incidents, and yes during this period many took the advice of western governments and personally chose to cancel trips to Thailand based on safety issues. At the time quite rightly we were all advising people there was no reason to stay away from Thailand.
As you say some of your 'colleagues' may have chosen to leave Egypt, there are several dive pro's I have spoken to myself that have indeed left there over recent times, but they all said it was down to lack of opportunities due to falling tourist numbers rather than safety issues in the resorts. And I know many people that have dived in Egypt, all trouble free during the current political crisis, most actually said their experience was better than previous visits due to the place not being so busy, and there have also been some excellent inexpensive dive packages available of late to try and encourage tourists back to the area.

I really cannot understand a recommendation to go to Thailand or anywhere in Asia for a few days diving diving from London.....given travelling time , jet lag and the need to avoid diving for a day before flying back....it will work out as a pricey four dives.

We have been to Egypt every year since 2008 and the only sign of the unrest we have seen is reduced numbers of divers , more fish and increased security ...all good news. In a week away from London you can have five full days diving plus a rest day. The cost would be lots lots lower than going to Thailand and the diving is superb.

Far better to wait and devote at least two weeks to Thailand and enjoy the beautiful islands , the amazing beaches , the food even some jungle time as well as the diving.

Id also say 5 days from London is pushing it - and even further to Indo so concentrate on the other suggestions. Regards the political unrest situations, as other posters have mentioned its a personal decision of whether you feel safe to go to a destination or not. During the 2010 redshirt riots in Thailand I found it one of the best times to dive. Fewer people, fewer divers, absolutely no dramas even flying into BKK on the day the redshirts were supposed to be taking the airport was great - the quietest id ever seen BKK. I flew in from Siem Reap and the pilot said we would turn back if the situation changed, no hassles at all. The airport was so surrounded by military presence it was almost devoid of anyone not in uniform. I did that run around the airport where is the next plane to somewhere I can dive thing and ended up back at Phuket (thanks StevenL) doing a few dives with a friend before heading down to Ao Nang and Tao - tourism operators were hurting thanks to the warnings but all up one of my best trips thru Thailand. If you decide on the red sea do some research and find out if any of the dive areas are experiencing problems. What you feel is safe is your personal opinion - check around, listen to people who are there and research the situation more than whats on the mainstream news.

It's funny/interesting about this 5-days thing. Judging by what people based in the UK have asked me for when they've wanted short trips (sometimes to take advantage of public holidays when they can use a couple of leave days without eating too much into their annual leave time), I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP meant 5 days available for diving at the destination. I hadn't thought it was 5 days including travel time (meaning a day for travel outbound, a couple of diving days, a non-diving day, and a travel day inbound) which really would only leave two days for diving. It would indeed be nuts to travel very far for just that. Most people who ask for a 5-day trip generally have a week bookended between weekends, meaning a travel day to the destination, five days for diving, a non-diving day, and another travel day home. In fact, I'm working with a family right now on exactly that for July 6-14. To my mind, the jet lag problem is more of an issue than the flight durations. But I have an awful time with jet lag, and I travel extensively year round, so travel time itself isn't a big deal for me, even though time zone changes are. Other people have different perceptions. Coming from a huge country very far away (Brazil) gives me a different perspective on distances and travel than that of somebody from a small country like England or Holland, both of which are much, much closer to Asia than Brazil is (my upcoming trip to Brazil later this month will take 40 hours). I can remember when I lived in London that the Commonweath-countries joke was "to an Australian 100 years is a long time; to a Brit 100 miles is a long way". It really is true!

It's funny/interesting about this 5-days thing. Judging by what people based in the UK have asked me for when they've wanted short trips (sometimes to take advantage of public holidays when they can use a couple of leave days without eating too much into their annual leave time), I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP meant 5 days available for diving at the destination. I hadn't thought it was 5 days including travel time (meaning a day for travel outbound, a couple of diving days, a non-diving day, and a travel day inbound) which really would only leave two days for diving. It would indeed be nuts to travel very far for just that. Most people who ask for a 5-day trip generally have a week bookended between weekends, meaning a travel day to the destination, five days for diving, a non-diving day, and another travel day home. In fact, I'm working with a family right now on exactly that for July 6-14. To my mind, the jet lag problem is more of an issue than the flight durations. But I have an awful time with jet lag, and I travel extensively year round, so travel time itself isn't a big deal for me, even though time zone changes are. Other people have different perceptions. Coming from a huge country very far away (Brazil) gives me a different perspective on distances and travel than that of somebody from a small country like England or Holland, both of which are much, much closer to Asia than Brazil is (my upcoming trip to Brazil later this month will take 40 hours). I can remember when I lived in London that the Commonweath-countries joke was "to an Australian 100 years is a long time; to a Brit 100 miles is a long way". It really is true!

I have lived most of my life in the UK, but never heard that one before.

I concur that Thailand is logistically unworkable for a short trip.

At this time of year I would recommend Malta/Gozo. Just a 3 hour flight from UK, good diving and lots of flights and accomodation. You'd also find the weather more suited to a Western European.

Egypt is a 5 hour flight and it is 40 degrees out there at the moment. Great inthe water but even Egyptians find it uncomfortably hot on land. I reckon best time for Egypt is April, May or Oct.

I certainly wouldn't be put off going to Egyptian Red Sea resorts by the political unrest. Most dive pros who have left have gone because tourist numbers and divers are well down and there is little work for freelancers.

I certainly wouldn't venture inland from Dahab without a Bedouin guide and would be cautious in Cairo, Luxor, Alexandria etc

Hi peeps,

My friend and I are about to pass our PADI open water certification in a couple of weeks. Our dream is to scuba dive in the Maldives which we will be doing all going well just after Christmas. She suggested a couple of dives somewhere warm before we go. We both live in London and we thought about a few days in Thailand. We have chosen Thailand at random because of the great diving there.
We are looking for a short break, maybe 5 days where we can get a couple of dives in at least. We know nothing about the country or places to go etc. Instead of reading travel agents blurb I would rather get some recommends from divers who have actually dived there. We want to do it as cheap as poss (not easy considering the country we chose), but stay safe at the same time. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Is our best and cheapest way through a travel agent ... ???

Thanx for reading ... :D
If you want great diving come to the Scottish West Coast. No time zone or currency worries.

If you want great diving come to the Scottish West Coast. No time zone or currency worries.

Yes, quite right, the UK has some excellent diving which is simply overlooked by many. West Scotland was always one of my favourite places to go, Soon I will be back in UK for the summer and hope to get there myself.
Just unfortunate the weather can all too often spoil things for us divers.

With Carpster being from London, right on his doorstep is Swannage, loads of dive boats operating from there, and dives to suit all abilities, can easily be done from London in one day.

Back
Top Bottom